BACK COUNTRY SKI PARTY

Dave_Schuldt

Dave - I see the merit in your argument here, because I have a hard time talking my ski buddies into going anywhere but highway 2 or Crystal Mountain. But I say talk it up and see who is really interested and then figure out what the priorities are and whether there will be much interest in a day trip option.

If great sking in anything resembling an alpine environment is what folks are after, there really isn't anything easily accessible from highways 2 or 90 that fits the bill. OK, you might say that Jim Hill Mountain is awesome or the skiing is great up on Yodelin Ridge or something, but for real live alpine zone skiing on a weekend, it'd have to be Rainier, Washington Pass or Pemberton.

In the Spring, a trip to Mazama could combine opportunities for rock climbing and skiing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been skiing up at the Goat Rocks twice, but it seemed to me that, although it was a beautiful area, it was a lot of work for what we got out of it. From the west, it must be close to ten miles approach for ski runs that don't exceed a thousand feet. In the Spring, I bet there could be better access to some of the bowls east of the crest, but it'd be a long way from Seattle until after the Cayuse and Chinook passes open up. By then, the approaches to Mount Adams are probably starting to open up.

New Years' Eve- kegger in the trees just off of Castle/Pinnacle basin in the Tatoosh!- or New Years Eve underneath ThreeWay Peak up in Crystal Basin?

I'm just thinking of places I'll be happy hauling a keg into, skyline ridge would be doable but not enjoyable with a sled brake system rigged.

[ 10-22-2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Beck ]

The road crews last year worked very hard at NOT getting the road open on time or at all, even if they had it cleared, sometimes you'd hear the AM radio traffic to the extent they just weren't gonna open. Might get worse later, or lessening chances of accidents, reasons like that.

quote:

Originally posted by Fence Sitter:

do you need a hut? cause if not, the black tusk are is phenomenal for backcountry in the winter... it is a bit of a drive though mabe like 3+ hours from seattle..

In mid to late November, one can drive right up to the microwave ridge of the Tusk in a 4WD hc (horsecock/high clearance!) The place is choked with sleds but there are plenty of nice runs within an hour or two of the car with some rock skiis.

For anyone interested in wacko nutbar exploratory type stuff, I'm leading a few trips for the BCMC in the new year:

http://www.bivouac.com/EvtPg.asp?rq=List&ClubId=1

Sign up now as I hate being responsible for lots of bodies (that's my day job!) Oh and the BCMC is nothing like the Mounties. Instead of newbie trundling accident magnets, most BCMC members are grizzled washed up old farts in wool knickers with stories about Beckey from the sixties. While they may not have the social capacity for engaged conversation, most seem to have that old school give 'er [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

Ski PARTY New Years' Eve below Threeway Peak up Crystal Basin way, should be able to have dogs, big roaring fire, a keg of beer. Anybody game?

I'm on board with Threeway Peak.

Question: Is the terrain snowboard friendly? Yeah... I'm one of those [Razz]

Things to consider when choosing a location.

Drive time- 2+/- hours from Seattle

Parking

Camping location- 2+/- miles up road, avi danger and water

Variety of terain- snowboards, tele, AT, snow shoe amd XC

Variaty of aspects

Alternate dates if conditions suck

Skyline ridge has been suggested, may be to crowded has aproach hill, gerat parking no avi danger

Smith Brook road- good camping easy to haul stuff on road, lots of terain

Will try to check out any other suggested locations

Thanks Lisa for bringing this up.

[rockband][rockband]

quote:

Originally posted by fern:

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Schuldt:

Things to consider when choosing a location.

Drive time- 2+/- hours from Seattle

why? what's so special about Seattle?
[Confused]
They have a monorail. (Mono means one, rail means...rail) [Wink]

I'm not so sure we have to stay within two hours of Seattle, but I'd vote for Smith Brook road over Skyline Ridge. The approach will be a lot easier for Beck to drag the alpine buddy, and there is both more terrain and more variety up there. Lichtenwasser Lake is pretty cool, Lichtenberg Mountain has lots of great skiing on it (as does Jove Peak), and there is some nice gentle touring as well.

Seattle or any city. You Oragonians and Canadians can have your own. We can have as many as we want. The 2 hour drive means people can come out just for the day, or one night and a day. It would be nice if people could leave after rush hours Friday and get in early enough to set up camp. Weather may make drive longer.

More suggestions and positive comments welcome.