Failure

olyclimber

The rules of engagement were written on the wall when you walk in the door. After nearly a year of training for this moment, I felt strong and driven, even after a recent illness. For months, I had punished myself, pushing myself to the limits,and it seemed there was no bottom to my lack self confidence. I tried hide from it, and ignore the searing, all-seeing eye. It sought me out everyday, and let me know I was inadequate. Still, my self hatred drove me onward to the goal in front of me. I had no choice but to face my fear...the unthinkable? Could I do it? Doubts blackened my mind as I tied on the ropes. I focused the rage, spurned on by the dark venomous snakes crawling and spitting thier poison in my belly. There was no turning back, and so I started up the route, as the snakes rose up in my stomach, writhing in my throat and choking my breath with fear. I fought it back, and struggled upward. Click. I could breath easier. The snakes retreated, and I moved upward. The next goal was in site, I reached up....click, and made ready to move on. Oh wait...somethings gone wrong. OH FUCK! OH SHIT! GAA-OOOOOOGAH! GAA-OOOOOOOGAH! WAH! WAH! WAH! .......Z-CLIP ALERT! Z-CLIP ALERT! Z-CLIP ALERT! LEAD TEST FAILURE! FAILURE! FAILURE!

Everyone in the gym stopped in their tracks and stared. I hung from the top rope in shame, the test lead rope zig-zaggin on the wall down to the ground. Beta-monkeys and Prana tops alike attempted to stifle thier laughter, but the crescendo rose louder and louder, and soon the whole gym rang with shrieks of laughter as they pointed at me and rolled on the floor, kicking up cloud of chalk. As I was lowered to the ground, I could feel a brand burning into my forehead....a large, scarlet "L".

Oh, and thanks JayB for the belay. yellaf.gif I'll get'er done next week, now that I actually have figured out how to "properly Z-clip a bolt ladder". tongue.gif This pie tastes pretty good, but I don't plan on eating it again....but then, I'm always outdoing myself. I'm hoping everyone else it enjoying this as much as I am. cry.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, this was like 10-11 years ago but I'd been leading trad for 4 years or something and I failed my lead test too. Fuck that was embarrassing. Those damn bolts were like 2ft apart and I was so used to 'grabbing low, clipping high' that 'grab near belly button, clip near left man boob' messed me up. so chin up buckaroo yellaf.gif

gyms HCL.gif anyway

Great story, Oly. I still remember the first time I walked into SG, hopped on a V1, and promptly fell right on my ass. After a few humiliating moments like this, you stop givin' a shit about everyone else in the gym and focus on what you're doing. Amazing what that extra focus can do for your climbing. Wear brightly colored lycra - it'll speed the process.

Z-clipping is embarrasing, but whatever you do, don't skip a clip at SG. If caught, they'll blackball your ass. I had to grovel for a week to keep my lead priviledges when I did this about a year ago. . .

Taking the lead test at the gym is almost as bad as filling out NOLSe's prospective partner questionnaire.

I took a pretty good fall when I was taking mine at PRG...everyone got really quiet and stared at me afterward. I'm guessing it's 'cause I probably said something profane right as I was peeling off.

At least JayB knew how to belay you. When I volunteered at the Bham YMCA wall, I had a guy so fuck up a gri-gri That I didn't think you could set it up that way. I ran behind him and clipped in with my ATC so his partner wouldn't crater into the floor when he was lowered down.

And I wasn't even volunteering that night!! I was amazed that the place wasn't sued for negligence. I haven't been there for over four years but what caused me to leave was the non-attentive hippie crowd and their GOD DAMN GRATEFUL DEAD!!!!

Deuce. Twice. Again.

My errors:

1. I managed to get the top rope tangled in the lead climbing rope

2. I back clipped

I should point out that I don't think I failed undeservingly. I did something that is potentially hazardous, and the tester rightly failed me. The first time was funny, but twice is downright embarrassing. I'm not a great climber (obviously), but I can easily climb the 5.7 route the test is on. I do have experience climbing with knowledgable people, and I always invite those who know more than me to give me feedback on my skills.

In retrospect, I had two things going against me:

1. For some reason, I got nervous.

2. I'm not used to leading climbing with the extra top rope they require.

Anyway, I'm going to keep taking the damn test until I pass. And I'll request the same tester, because I want to "focus the rage" on this little problem of mine.

I hope I'm not scaring off potential climbing partners, but then, you're probably glad to know to avoid me. yellaf.gif Anyway, in case you're wondering, I have taken a lead climbing class in the past, and I know and understand why I failed.

Thanks to the person who took the time to belay me during the test. I'll buy you a beer next time I see you.

I do believe I'm going down in infamy here.

If the weather would cooperate I will go practice for the test by leading outside. Once I rebuild my confidence outside, I may be ready for the rigors of climbing in the gym. Also Red Bull and neon lycra seems like sound advice. I'm starting to feel my confidence return. But I'll choke back the spray and just try to speak with action next week. Hell, I'm even going to practice and rehearse. It has been a race to the bottom, and I've got such a great lead, I feel like I can ease up a bit. I would just like to thank all the people who have supported me through this ordeal. bigdrink.gif