Pretty Sick

bigwalling

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is similar to the Seven Summits.

Some do not consider the high point of Australia to be the high point of the continent. Some consider Carstenz Pyramid to be the high point. The problem is, Carstenz Pyramid is not physically located on a continent.

The problem is, it is located on a continent. The same continental crust underlies both Australia and New Guinea and the intervening sea is very shallow.

The poor quality of your schooling does not change reality.

Scienceman: Is New Guinea an Island or a Continent? Yes, it may lay on a continental shelf, but is it an Island or a Continent?

BTW: Anvil Island is called an Island becuase it is an ISLAND even though is it on the continental shelf. Besides, I have been there, done that!

Definition as per Webster's:

CONTINENT: continuous mass of land, mainland.

Random House:

CONTINENT: 1. one of the main land masses of the globe, usually reckoned as seven in number (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia, and Antarctica). 3. the mainland, as distinguished from islands or peninsulas.

Continental crust and continent in my mind are two different things.

Edited by klenke

You are making a false distinction. Britain is part of Europe. Vancouver Island is part of North America. In the Mesozoic, when a shallow sea connected Hudson Bay to the Gulf of Mexico, the Appalachians and Rockies were still on the same continent.

Hawaii, however, is NOT part of North America.

You are making a false distinction. Britain is part of Europe. Vancouver Island is part of North America. In the Mesozoic, when a shallow sea connected Hudson Bay to the Gulf of Mexico, the Appalachians and Rockies were still on the same continent.

Hawaii, however, is NOT part of North America.

Why does Vancouver Island have the word "Island" in it?

Definition as per Webster's:

CONTINENT: continuous mass of land, mainland.

Random House:

CONTINENT: 1. one of the main land masses of the globe, usually reckoned as seven in number (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia, and Antarctica). 3. the mainland, as distinguished from islands or peninsulas.

Continental crust and continent in my mind are two different things.

Definition per wikipedia:

Seven Continents: Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Oceania, Europe, North America, and South America.

Six Continents: Africa, Antarctica,Oceania, Eurasia, North America, and South America.

Six Continents: Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Oceania, and Europe.

Five Continents: Africa, America, Australasia (Oceania), Antarctica, Eurasia.

Five Continents: Africa, America, Oceania, Europe, Asia.

Four Continents: America,Oceania, Antarctica, Eurafrasia.

You can look it up on Google wave.gif

Hint: Carstensz

I did exactly what you said. Elevation is 4884 meters.

I guess that means they measured it from sea level and not plate tectonic level. If it is sea level, then I guess everything underneath sea level doesn't count.

I was reading the story and it got me wondering...

What qualifies as a calendar winter ascent?

Not starting the approach until the first day of winter?

Starting the approach before the first day of winter but not starting the route until the first day of winter (example: ski to the base and then sit and wait for the first day of winter before starting)?

Starting the route prior to the first day of winter but not summiting until the first day of winter (example: climb Liberty Ridge over 3 days and on the third day which also happens to be the first day of winter summit and descend)?

What is the definition of a proper calendar winter ascent?

Okay, let's say you were climbing Dome Peak in July. Now let's say the same thing happened to the weather as it did in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". Now would you call that a winter ascent or would you still call it a summer ascent?