Deep Water Soloing-Where?

Jens

In high school we used to climb up and jump off a lot of bridges and stuff.

Deep water soloing is currently the rage in Europe. It looks like a rush. Climb at one letter grade below your onsight level 60 feet above the water etc.

Anybody seen any good spots to do it in WA?

I'm not looking for for bouldering above water but actual big air between the legs on terrain that is vert. to overhanging. It would be a plus if you didn't have to have a boat to get to. My brother found some good stuff up in BC but you had to sail way to far to get to it.

Speaking of water, we all should go in on gas money to persuade a cc'er to tow their yacht up to Lillooet for Seton Lake this winter. I'd contribute at least 40 bucks. We could even have a keg on board.

[big Drink]

PS Anybody seen Alain Robert's website? That guy's got some nuts the size of watermelons.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally learned to climb at Palisades State Park in South Dakota. There were numerous climbs on King and Queen rock that one had to lower down to the water to for the start. Jumping off the top of the rock into the water was a strictly enforced misdemeanor offense, however, climbing and falling back into the water was a different story. The drop from the top of King rock was at least 50 feet if I remember correctly.

quote:

Originally posted by Muir on Saturday:

somebody bolted some climbing holds to one of the pillars below a 520 on-ramp in the arborateum. you can rent a canoe at the UW near the climbing rock.

A photo of these routes showed up on the front page of the Seattle Times local section this summer. As you might expect, this led to their removal shortly thereafter - that is unless someone has re-installed the routes within the past three weeks or so since my last visit to the arboretum.

Anyone know how long those routes were in place prior to getting chopped? Has the installation/chopping cycle been repeated before?

"Anyone know how long those routes were in place prior to getting chopped? Has the installation/chopping cycle been repeated before?"

The easier route was there for 3 or 4 years, the harder one about 2, I think. Too bad about the removal; they were really fun. And this was the first time chopped.

Maybe someone would like to put in a bunch of monos and bis? Just an idea....

Yeah...That's at Summerville lake, near the NRG...during the summer, the rez is in so a lot of the climbs bust right out over the water...

The really steep thing he's on is 12+ or something like that...if you look closely, you'll see the "winter" equipment...ie, bolts for when there is no water below...There are miles and miles of that stuff...

"Anyone know how long those routes were in place prior to getting chopped? Has the installation/chopping cycle been repeated before?"

It's about time someone did the right thing and chopped those atrocities. If you don't have the wherewithall to climb a large concrete freeway support column in its natural state, DON'T CLIMB IT! Modifying these routes ruins the possibilities for future ascents by those who can climb at that level, not to mention causing huge access problems. Do you want to see classic areas like the 405 corridor in Portland, I-80 in San Diego, or some of the old-school parts of I-5 in LA closed down because you Mountain Dew-drinking jerkoffs with your twee little outfits had to bolt your gay little blobs of plastic all over them? Honestly, the Access Fund works VERY hard to keep our freeways' structural supports open for you to enjoy; the least you all could do is show enough restraint to keep them natural and open for all of us.

In fact, the Doctor was having coffee with his good friends Reinhold Messner and Yvon Chouinard just the other day, and Reinhold said something about the pristine new columns out at the PDX parking structure and how he'd like to bag the SW face of the third column from the corner on the East side, and Chouinard told him that the columns were closed to climbing because someone had bolted some holds to them. Man, Reinhold looked like he was going to turn into the Incredible Hulk; veins sticking out of his neck and all that. "If I am finding out who puts the plastic for the climbing on these beautiful column, I am smashing them like rocks falling from the Eiger, ja." It was a powerful moment, and a good reminder that people need to think twice before defiling innocent concrete just to fulfill their own egos.

This has been a public service announcement from the Dr. Flash Amazing Free Freeways Climbing Coalition. Thank you.

quote:

Originally posted by Muir on Saturday:

somebody bolted some climbing holds to one of the pillars below a 520 on-ramp in the arborateum. you can rent a canoe at the UW near the climbing rock.

A photo of the column(s) in question, pre-chop. The climber is on the easy route. Too bad they're gone -- I hadn't redpointed the easy one yet! Foiled by my PFD on the top-out move... [Roll Eyes]

-

I went to college about a 1/2 hour from Foster Falls. Plenty of awesome steep sandstone, but at the end of the day it was awesome to free solo underneath the waterfall. It is deep right out of the water (can't touch bottom at the base) and the top of the falls is about 70 feet above. The rock starts out vertical then goes to about 120 degrees at the end. Pretty awesome to fall back in the water, especially coming out of a cool stream on a hot, humid summer day! -