Thank You Helmet

ivan

I don't want this to be a faqhing helmet vs no-helmet thread. after getting nailed in the noggin this past weekend, i thought it would simply be a good idea to have a post where, every time someone was saved by wearing a helmt, they wrote it up to say thanks to the little plastic thing w/ a big heart.

my example for the weekend. leading pitch 2 of moscow at smiff. about 20 feet above the belay, 1 piece in, i get smashed in the dead center of my skull (right where the target's painted on my helmet). a second later i hear "rock." i'm woozy and my brain aches terribly, but i hold on and finish the route. no doubt i would have been a gibbering idiot (well, worse than now anyway) if i hadn't had my helmet on.

the rock that hit me was baseball sized.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just bought a helmet this year for rock climbing. Finally. Never been hit, never wore it on rock (had a MSR I always used in the mountains). 2 days ago finally took one, climbing right under Texplorer and Joseph, dead center in the helmet.

If I didn't have a helmet on, I would not have been under them.

Figure that.

no problems...my head ached for a few hours. there would have been a big bloody hole if i had forgotten my helmet like the week before when climbing ice w/ pat.

my helmet's a bd half dome. there's a big crack in the back from sitting on it last year, but it appears to work well when hit by falling shit. probably woulnd't help much if i fell headfirst to the ground or swung hard into something.

I has hit in the head while leading on N Face Athabasca by a pretty small rock but going really fast. if my helmet hadnt been on and me looking down, i would prob be dead.

those face shields seem alot less stupid these days, I think that will be my next purchase. with one you at least have a chance if you happen to be looking up. especially seems to make sense for ice and alpine where rockfall, icefall, or ice tools in the face are common

My noggin has been saved so many times over the years by my two "old skewl" Joe Browns. They may be heavy and dorky by today's standards, but I still love 'em both. One is foam-insulated for winter climbing; the other not, for summer climbing.

And I like how they resemble the old Wehrmacht helmet of WWII (that's coming from being a student of WWII).

Huge icefall and rockfall on Sandy Headwall last winter. Broke a few fingers on my right hand....Took a large chunk of rock to the head, and many smaller chunks of ice....I have been hit in the head many times by ice in the cascades in winter....Not to much rockfall...Helmets ROCK!

The real question is Has anyone been hit in the junk by ice or rockfall hahaha.gifhellno3d.gif

Huge icefall and rockfall on Sandy Headwall last winter. Broke a few fingers on my right hand....Took a large chunk of rock to the head, and many smaller chunks of ice....I have been hit in the head many times by ice in the cascades in winter....Not to much rockfall...Helmets ROCK!

The real question is Has anyone been hit in the junk by ice or rockfall hahaha.gifhellno3d.gif

I was hit by rockfall on Plinth Peak and it broke my camera when I pulled the pack up to cover my neck. rolleyes.gif Thus making "junk" out of a nice Pentax.