Ice climbing in Las Vegas, NV

sja5150

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some sweet ice back in the canyons under some conditions. at the head of Oak Creek I seem to recall eying a couple steep falls on the north facing walls while climbing Black Orpheus.

Up on Charleston they have some 2 pitch WI5 too from what I heard.

I was up at the mountain yesterday, we have a really good snowpack going on, with a warmer first layer of snow that should provide for some good ice.

The VHM was just a thin strip of white, not even close to climbable. Watch the link I posted for your awnser....After all, it is ice in the middle of the desert.

As for the flows that seep out of the limestone bands behind Red rocks.... that is a long way to hike for ice that might fall off when you touch it.

But it does look good! JM is much more of an expert than I about such matters....

We topped out on Rainbow mountain a couple of winters ago to the sight of a ten foot wide river of solid ice that dissapeared down to the climbers left of Rainbow wall.

what are the odds of finding some of those climbs in condition say around Thanksgiving? it seems possible with the altitude, but they are pretty far south...

if you're driving down and have the time, you may want to check out wheeler peak as well.