Where is climbing's next proving ground?

texplorer

Where do think the next big spinoff or trend in climbing will develop.  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Where do think the next big spinoff or trend in climbing will develop.

In the past our sport has gone from getting to the top of things to free climbing them to freeing harder lines cleanly. Most recently difficult sport faces were bolted and the rating skyrocketed. As the rating game seems to be coming to a close the speed ascentionists picked up and have made grade 6's into single push climbs and grade 5's into hourly affairs. The big wall aid lines are going free all over the place too.

My question is - where do we go from here. Last year Potter pushed the length of pitches with his ascent of the tombstone, The Hubers and Caldwell are freeing everything on the Cap, and Ogden is putting up multi-pitch sustained routes with D (drytool) pitches thrown into the mix. I guess I wonder where this current generation of climbers are making their mark and pushing the bounds. What is frivility and what is the next buzz spin-off.

Personally I find the new super long pitches the most interesting. With newer ropes stretching over 230 feet there are many classic lines that could be extended into new extra long "super pitches."

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The options seem somewhat limiting considering there is a much larger spectrum in climbing.

Consider The most recent acheivements and goals:

Josh Wharton's F/A of the Ambruzzi Ridge (over 6500' of rock)

Chad Kellog's record speed ascents of the two highest peaks in N.A. (once took weeks to go from basecamp to summit now is being climbed in a matter of hours)

To ski from the summit of Mt Everest and/or to ski the 7 summits (Everest saw it's first feet on the summit less than 50 years ago)

First descents of the highest or steepest peaks in the world.

I think I would choose none of the above.

I think the biggest trend is the lower fatality rate and or injury rate from a sport once considered very dangerous. A large amount of fixed anchors, lighter and lighter removable anchors and much more durable, dynamic & shock absorbing ropes can allow a climber to carry more gear, place more gear and have a much more reliable placement than in the past. Consider the fact that Fred Beckey used neckties back in the day for slings. We've come a long way in safety.

Climbing 5.19 on Mars.

yellaf.gifWouldn't mind slogging that 90k peak they have on Mars too. That would be pretty cool. Really! I think it is the size of the state of AZ or something. hellno3d.gif

I don't see any big changes from what is already happening...people slowly achieving what was once thought impossible through better knowledge,gear, training techniques ect. It's a slow process for sure but always going forward.

Coolest thing I saw recently was freeing and old aid line that was still too difficult to do clean, so two guys freed most of the pitches and then mixed in drytooling with rock shoes on the one pitch deemed to thin to free anytime soon. (thought it was written up in Climbing or R&I a few months ago)

In the 1972 Ascent, closing a review of climbing periodicals, David Roberts penned the following paragraph. This thread caused me to recall it and dig it out. Besides making me feel suddenly very old, I think it's an interesting little comment to look back on:

"Climbing, as we know it, no doubt, is in its last throes. In future histories of the 19th and 20th centuries it may occupy a few intriguing footnotes, perhaps a whole paragaph or two - classed with such period arcana as whaling and baseball. The wonder will be that so much youthful energy and brilliance were expended on a quixotically specialized wrinkle of the (already exhausted) pursuit of terrestrial exploration. Scholars, wading through the jargon of climbing articles, will be puzzled at the rhapsodies on A1 cracks and F9 slabs, the paeans to front-pointing, and hanging bivy tents. Alas-we could have told them that mountaineering, while it lasted, was life itself. But in the 21st century "we" will be doing something else: deep-sea spelunking, perhaps, or dust-storm sailing on Mars."

In the 1972 Ascent, closing a review of climbing periodicals, David Roberts penned the following paragraph. This thread caused me to recall it and dig it out. Besides making me feel suddenly very old, I think it's an interesting little comment to look back on:

"Climbing, as we know it, no doubt, is in its last throes. In future histories of the 19th and 20th centuries it may occupy a few intriguing footnotes, perhaps a whole paragaph or two - classed with such period arcana as whaling and baseball. The wonder will be that so much youthful energy and brilliance were expended on a quixotically specialized wrinkle of the (already exhausted) pursuit of terrestrial exploration. Scholars, wading through the jargon of climbing articles, will be puzzled at the rhapsodies on A1 cracks and F9 slabs, the paeans to front-pointing, and hanging bivy tents. Alas-we could have told them that mountaineering, while it lasted, was life itself. But in the 21st century "we" will be doing something else: deep-sea spelunking, perhaps, or dust-storm sailing on Mars."

thank you for posting that. i was born in 1972. i am glad that although climbung has changed, and the faces of climbers have changed, we are still out climbing. I am proud to be a climber in the 21st century. Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

I think sport climbing will take us to the new level. Entire routes (maybe even a whole rope length), will contain a couple faux bolts attached to the rock with bubble gum. The risk will leave these route to only the most daring shocked.gif

Really though, climbing has been a evolution with small leaps every once in a while but no real radical aspects of it have evolved. Yeah, I know, mixed climbing has changed a lot from the 30's but it is still the basic concept. The levels of difficulty have increased with the evolution of gear.

Has the level of committment changed? Maybe not, considering the equiptment that climbers took into the mountains and up on walls back in the earlier days of climbing. So then, you have to ask yourself what evolution in gear will allow us to climb unclimbed terrain or climb existing routes faster and with more confidence. Just another aspect of the topic.

Jedi