Alpine trad for this weekend

Blake

Anyone have recomendations for alpine trad for this weekend? Will be coming from the west side, and wont be able to leave seattle until ~10am sat. I'm thinking something with an approach saturday afternoon, and a climb and hoke out sunday morning, early afternoon. Other than Sahale, what fits this profile? Moderate glacier stuff, and rock up to mid 5th class is what would work. confused.gif

I know i've seen posts like this before, but i was having no luck with the "search" on here.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prusik in a day Sunday. That way you can hang out with the cool cats at RopeUp on Saturday night!

I'm sure that'd be a great day trip, but i doubt we could pull off 20 miles of hiking AND the climb, and still back over to puget sound by early evening sunday.

The North Buttress Couloir on Colchuck might be a good one. I bet the upper face is rather snowy and alpine feeling, but I don't think any storms are predicted between now and then so the snow ought to be consolidated somewhat and not plastered on any rocks that you'd have to actually climb on.

Blake,

I got the impression that you wanted something mellow, and you'd like to be home in time for a late supper on Sunday...

Here are some more mellow ideas then the ones given so far:

Seven Finger Jack and Mt. Maude are class 2 or 3 scree walks in the Entiate range. The larches are stellar around there right now. The view from either of those 9000' peaks would be worth the hike.

Cathedral Rock (Class 4 & Chossy, but it has a nice profile as you hike up to it), camp at Peggy's Pond, Climb Mt. Daniel (Glacier) the second day.

Washington Pass: Beckey Rt(5.6) or SEWS S Arete(5.4 and easy for 5.4) would be easily done in the manner you described.

I hear that Black Peak has an easy S. Shoulder and an interesting ridge climb (NE Ridge) and that you can hike in a short ways and camp at a nice lake... but I haven't done it yet.

Blake,

I got the impression that you wanted something mellow, and you'd like to be home in time for a late supper on Sunday...

Here are some more mellow ideas then the ones given so far:

Seven Finger Jack and Mt. Maude are class 2 or 3 scree walks in the Entiate range. The larches are stellar around there right now. The view from either of those 9000' peaks would be worth the hike.

Cathedral Rock (Class 4 & Chossy, but it has a nice profile as you hike up to it), camp at Peggy's Pond, Climb Mt. Daniel (Glacier) the second day.

Washington Pass: Beckey Rt(5.6) or SEWS S Arete(5.4 and easy for 5.4) would be easily done in the manner you described.

I hear that Black Peak has an easy S. Shoulder and an interesting ridge climb (NE Ridge) and that you can hike in a short ways and camp at a nice lake... but I haven't done it yet.

Thanks for the tips. I'd be interested to see Maude and 7FJ from that side, since i see them all te time from the north, but i already did Fernow this summer and want a route that involves trad leading. I'm thinking Concord tower and Liberty Bell via the beckey route.