Bike Locks That Don't Wortk

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by the shop I used to work at last night, and asked them about this. They tried the trick yesterday but couldn't do it because all of their pens are kind of chewed up. They called two other shops in town and they both said that they've made it work. The beefiest New York lock doesn't use the same type of key, but it's heavy as hell. I'm just going to use the chain that I have and change the little Krypto lock on it to a big padlock.

On slow days we used to try to break our locks. We had a 4 foot bolt cutter, and I had the Krypto New York chain because I was off to school in L.A. We couldn't hacksaw through it, and the bolt cutters barely put a scratch on the chain. That's the way to go. I was just checking Kryptonite's website and they have quite a few locks with new "pick-proof" technology (different key), but a bunch of them are only available in Europe. Also, these are going to be impossible to find for the next few months because people will be buying them up right and left. I'm going to try to order one later today. This sucks madgo_ron.gif. I'm not usually one to get all caught up in mass hysteria, but I don't want to get my bike stolen by some wanker with a pen.

But only those who have purchased an Evolution lock, KryptoLok lock, New York Chain, New York Noose, Evolution Disc Lock, KryptoDisco or DFS Disc Lock in the last two years are eligible for a free product upgrade, the company said in a statement.

The rest of you are screwed!

This sounds like my best chance to get muyself a new bike evils3d.gif

There was a big write up about this in yesterdays NYTimes. Apparently older models (pre-2002) are less susceptible to the pen picking. I have an old Kryptonite that's at least 10 years old - maybe older - but I haven't tried picking it with a pen yet. But then I'm no bike theif either. I have to wonder - does this spell the end of the Kryptonite company (with all the trade-ins, bad press, etc.) and if so, who will take their place?

$25. My lock was an older Krypto. I had lost the spare key so I was thinking I might be screwed if the key got screwed up or I lost it. I have had old locks jamb on me when I was a mesenger. If you lock/unlock more than once or twice a day the keys and lock will wear out. Also the new one is longer so it's easer to use in some cases.