Rainy day epics part II

Charlie

Got screwed again! We were about 100' from the summit of cutthroat when the sky opened up on us. Ever noticed how when rappelling with a soaked rope, your rappel device sprays ice cold water all over your crotch? Anybody else get caught in the storm yesterday?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo dogg, you didn't get hosed bro, to be totally hosed you would have stayed home... but on cutthroat theres a shit load of raps as i remember, soak it up, gotta love it, i mean i got wet pressure washing a friggin deck, in west seattle, now thats epic, citys equal bad news, wonderful wa pass whatever the conditions= good shit, right on for gettin out while others sat on lazy asses. bp

Didn't get caught on Sunday but did on Saturday! Nice thunder and lightning. Its only the 2nd time this year I've been stuck under a boulder waiting for the skies to clear. Although this time we were descending from the top instead of retreating. Anybody know if there was bad weather in Leavenworth this weekend or was it just around WA Pass.

timl gots the idea... gotta get into that shit, thunder lightning, nature sayin wassup, dig it be smart though dont get zapped, man i'm jealous, wish i coulda been hangig from a rope getting soaked or cowering under a boulder whitnessing the intensity of weather and mountains, dosn't that stuff just fire you up?bp

Got caught in the lighnting/hail/rain storm Saturday late afternoon on the Torment-Forbidden Traverse. The lightning came within 1/4 mile or so before moving south over J-Berg. By the time we got moving again we had lost enough time that darkness caught us out on the SE Face where we bivied on poor, sloping, sandy ledges. I finally met the snaffle hound and it chewed up my new pack.

shoulda been in BC it was cloudy sunday but never rained. but climbing in the fog was [Cool] cause i could hear alpineK but not see him. i think being ingulfed in a cloud of vapor (smoke) is natural state for him though cause he was not bothered at all by it [big Grin] just like inside muir hut.

We got a late start from Mazama on Sunday and sat at the Blue Lake TH for a while trying to decide what to do and what the weather was doing. After a couple minutes of watching the building thunderheads we decided to turn tail and head to Seattle and get some stuff done so we could climb on Tuesday. Charlie - thanks for validating our decision. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by TimL:

Didn't get caught on Sunday but did on Saturday! Nice thunder and lightning. Its only the 2nd time this year I've been stuck under a boulder waiting for the skies to clear. Although this time we were descending from the top instead of retreating. Anybody know if there was bad weather in Leavenworth this weekend or was it just around WA Pass.

Did the NR of Stuart on Saturday, brief shower while we were on the upper 1/4. It was thundering and lightening in the distance. We stayed on the summitt for about 30 seconds and left because we thought it was heading our way, but the heavy stuff never made over stuart.

Hmm, it was nice and sunny up above Spray Park yesterday. Once back into the clouds and drizzle (below 6500ft), got to hear hikers whining about the gloomy weather... including a woman in the parking lot, decked out in full gore-tex to protect her against the refreshing light mist: "no one's making it up there today, with this weather".

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:

Hmm, it was nice and sunny up above Spray Park yesterday. Once back into the clouds and drizzle (below 6500ft), got to hear hikers whining about the gloomy weather... including a woman in the parking lot, decked out in full gore-tex to protect her against the refreshing light mist: "no one's making it up there today, with this weather".

i thought this here was SprayPark [HORSECOCK]

Looking bad for the latter of this coming weekend too. There seems to be a large front coming in cause they are calling for showers Tuesday at Smith. Clouds, rain, and T-storms for N. Cascades up into B.C. That one tech. weather report doesn't go out far enough. Dru, got any good online forecasts you trust for BC/US border? Still planning on NE Face of Redoubt. The one I saw said rain Sun, Mon, Tues. Those guys can't predict shit normally, but a big system coming in is a little hard to miss. I'll wait and pray 'til the weekend nears.