jpeg of ice axe piercing abdomen?

pindude

quote:

Originally posted by Thinker on "I'm PISSED" thread:

I once saw a slide of a guy who'd run the shaft of his ice axe thru his abdomen, on the front side, left to right, entering high and exiting low. The medic who showed the slide said the guy did it glissading and walked into the ranger station for assistance that way. Talk about 'true grit'.

I had a jpeg of this photo when it was circulating on the web a few years ago, but since lost it when a hard drive crashed. Anybody have it that wouldn't mind posting it? It would be perfect for cc.com, for many reasons. [Wink] I have shown it to students as an example of "what can go wrong"--it's a good waker-upper to start discussions on risk. Photo is of an anonymous poor guy, no face shown, who appears to be laid out on an ER table with a regular 70+ cm mountaineering axe pierced through one side of abdomen, running just under the skin, and the spike sticking OUT of the skin on the other side of the abdomen--seemingly without any vital organs having been skewered.

I've tried searching to no avail, although if no one has it readily, there are plenty others here on the board (particularly Trask, Dru) who are much better than I at rooting out e-info.

--pindude

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a guy with an ice axe through him in New Hampshire. It was down at the ranger station at the bottom of mt washington. There were a bunch of people standing around him, and I thought he looked a little out of it, and then someone told me he'd punctured himself with his axe.

I saw the shaft going into his goretex jacket and disappearing! At some point, someone lifted his jacket, and you could see the shaft going in his left side, and out the right side. Really gruesome! But the guy was still walking around and stuff (in fact he had just walked down about 3000ft of Mt Washington in below zero temps).

When the ambulance finally came, and they put him on a stretcher, they had trouble getting him out the door because of the axe sticking out of him! Apparently he turned out ok, it had just punctured muscle tissue, not his stomach. (I guess maybe he had a bit of a pot belly!)

This is what you are looking for... I attempted South Buttress of Denali with Mike Pelchat in 1997.

At the time, Mike was on the SAR team on Cannon Mountain in winters, and worked at the station on the summit of Mt. Washington in NH during the summers...

Erden.

Right on, Erden, thanks. I knew cc.com would come through. I'd forgotten it was from a web site. Mt. Washington, hmm...obviously your man, philfort.

Hard to see detail, but isn't that a Charlet Moser axe? Pretty wicked spike...I can see how it could happen. Hopefully the guy got over this okay and is still climbing.

[ 08-22-2002, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: pindude ]

I fell glissading on monday with a big fat Raindog pack on, didn't spear myself...but I think I had whiplash.

Dale R told me a story about this guy he saw up at ICY BC walking around at the base without crampons. He slipped and put his ice tool deep into his knee. He said that inorder for them to get him out the guy had to pull the thing out on his own.No one there would do it for him. Sounds gnarly.

quote:

Originally posted by erden:

is what you are looking for...

That's essentially the one I remember. The guy who had the slide was teaching a Wilderness First Aid course. He spent years doing SAR in the Presidential Range, may still be active.

He also had some unique slides of the frozen bodies of 2 ice climbers who had topped out on a route they were climbing on the leeward side of Mt. Wash. At the top they were exposed to the legendary winds and froze solid within minutes. One guy was leaning against a rock, digging in his pack; the other was sprawled out, face down on the ground. Made for some interesting poses when they were put face-up on a litter.

[ 08-22-2002, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Thinker ]