Even worse than Canada!

snoboy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My visceral reaction is to agree with Fairweather but then I wonder if this isn't a case where this is a small rural town with one elementary, one middle, and one high school and mom may be working 2 jobs because her drunken deadbeat ex-husband isn't around to make payments on the apartment/doublewide. In that case, it's not likely home-schooling is an option. There may have even been a fair bit of community input on this. It would be nice to have more facts.

I'm sorry, but the allergic kid needs to find another school to attend. How many accommodations shall the many make for the one? This aint' ADA, this is sheer lunacy. Sounds like it's time for new school board elections!

Wow I can't believe I'm agreeing with Fairweather wazzup.gif

It's one thing to build wheelchair ramps and make other accomidations like that, but when you start telling folks what their kids can have for lunch that's too far.

Too bad for the kid with the allergy. frown.gif

The law is such that public schools must accomodate children with disabilities. So legally the school's hands are tied. They cannot exclude this child, but if this child is exposed to peanuts, the school will have a fatality on their hands.

It is a rock and a hard place for the people who run the school.

On the other hand, if this kid is so allergic that he could die from smelling someone's breath, then I believe the parents have a moral obligation to home school the kid until he is old enough to take care of himself.

Jason

The child, whose identity has not been released, is so sensitive that he could have a reaction merely by smelling the breath of someone who has eaten the banned foods.

So how does the kid survive going to the movies? Or to Wal-Mart? It sounds as if his chances of survival are pretty close to zero no matter what precautions are taken. That is not to be cavalier about trying to minimize the chances of someone inadvertently causing his death, but he's only in school for a fraction of the time.

My wife is a middle school science and health teacher in Seattle. This coming year they have one of these "peanut kids" coming to their school. The entire school staff has to have a couple hours of training on how to peanut-proof their classrooms. It sounds like a major hassel for all involved. I feel for the kid but the teachers don't have enough time to teach and plan for teaching as it is now.

Wanna bet on how much the parent sue for if some kid leaves his Reeces Cup somewhere and the peanut kid sits in it?

We can only hope that when the research is complete that establishes industrial chemical X as the cause of the recent rise in peanut allergies, X is banned and not peanuts.

Why not pay the kid's family to have him home-schooled? Sounds like a reasonable compromise.

If I was this kid's mom, my worst fear would be some evil goober (no pun intended) who chowed down on peanut butter before school and then breathed all over this kid during recess just to see his reaction. You know there are some evil little bastards out there.....

Used to be people just died when they were allegic to food. Now they are accumulating. All sorts of genetic flaws are surviving into adulthood so they can be passed on to another generation. Hopefully genetic engineering will catch up and we will be able to correct all these flaws.

So do you support the production and consumption of GM foods? If not, as I suspect, please explain. Mistakes are sure to be made along the way but, as with GM farming, the benefits outweigh the risks IMHO.