Patagonia info

marylou

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Awesome one I used was called "Hiking and Backpacking in Chile and Argentina". Definately do the circuit in Torres del Paine (DO NOT DO THE 'W' ROUTE OR YOU WILL MISS THE BEST VIEWS IN THE PARK) go to Los Glacieres Natnl Park and to El Chalten to hike into Cerro TOrre and Fitzroy areas. Over on the Argentinian caost, go check out the beach where Orcas swim right up on shore to get seals and sea lions (think National Geographic). Go check out a Penguin rookery on the STraights of Magellan, definately take the NAVIMAG boat up from Puerto Natales back to Puerto Montt. Hitchhike down the Carreterra Astral, the most remote place down there. Go rock climbing and fly fishing in Bariloche. Youth hostels down there rock!

There is also a South American Handbook, which can be helpful, but also quite general. Take buses from CHile down to Patagonia as they are cheaper (although with the Argentinian dollar crashing a little while ago, this may have changed.)

there is a website on terra. something or another it is in spanish and contains most of the topos for the patagonia area....

Online topos? Or where you can order the paper maps? Several places sell the paper ones. www.omnimap.com for one.

As this recent expedition showed:

http://climbing.com/news/remotepat/

Depending on where your going, the maps arent' much use.

For English language guidebooks:

Lonenly Planet Trekking in Patagonia

Bradt Guide

Biggar - Guides to the Andes (2, Trekking & Climbing)

Kearney - Mountaineering in Patagonia

Jill Neate - Mountaineering in the Andes

Old AAJ's

Since we're dreamin'... anyone been to South Georgia Island? I've always thought it would be cool to retrace Shakleton's route across and maybe climb some peaks along the way.

I saw a Shakleton documentary in which a husband and wife team did exactly that. It looked pretty cool.

Would be a pretty expensive trip though. I think I'd rather go to Patagonia for less $$.

Since we're dreamin'... anyone been to South Georgia Island? I've always thought it would be cool to retrace Shakleton's route across and maybe climb some peaks along the way. Patagonia sounds like it would be thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif too.

W0rd! My biophysics professor visited the island on a trip to the pole. He visited Shackleton's grave while he was on the island (he isn't a climber so he didn't do the traverse) and while on Antarctica he visited a cabin from one of Scott's expeditions that Shackleton was on.

Something a lot more accessible is the James Caird (if you don't know read the book) which is in London. It’s amazing how many people make it to London but don't visit it...

Encsm.jpgH&S.JPG