New Omega Pacific Link Cam Picture

southernmtguide

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a rep. I work for Omega Pacific. I am just posting about it due to all of the requests for information that we have received. Honestly, even if I did not work for Omega I would be pretty stoked about this cam. I have been using cams since the first day they came out, and this device is going to change the way we can climb.

I would hope that everyone will reserve judegment on the cams until they actually get to see and use them. I have, and I am amazed so far. Others that have used them share my feelings.

So, sorry if it seems as if I am "pushing", I am only responding to requests, and this is a fairly easy way to do it.

What do you mean "since they first came out"? Since 1979, when Friends first became commercialy available? I actually still use a very very first generation Friend. These cams will not revolutionize the way we climb, it is still jam jam jam place jam jam jam.........

Give us a break....it is just more gear.

Its a nifty variation of the camming device. I'll reserve my opinions till I at least try them out. Sure, I will invest in a couple, just as I invested in those freaky TCU's when they first came out, despite their "one fall" capability back in the day.

People poo poo'd index shifting...as an unneeded variation over friction shifting.

Jesus you dicks, be a little more open and just accept the information as interesting and an addition to what you already know.

Obviously most of you know it already so why even bother posting some smart fucking ass comment that dosent add to the thread already.

Give your spraying and shit talking a break once and awhile.

You all are as bad as the ignorant pricks on RC.com

K... nuff said, now fuck OFF! wave.gif

Omega Pacific closed up shop in the Seattle area to open a manufacturing plant in a prison a number of years ago. A newspaper article covered this and the president of OP was quoted as saying how great this was because he had single mothers working for him that would miss work to stay home with their sick children and at the prison this would not happen. He crowed about his captive work force. I have since refused to buy a single piece of Omega Pathetic gear since then.

Omega Pacific closed up shop in the Seattle area to open a manufacturing plant in a prison a number of years ago. A newspaper article covered this and the president of OP was quoted as saying how great this was because he had single mothers working for him that would miss work to stay home with their sick children and at the prison this would not happen. He crowed about his captive work force. I have since refused to buy a single piece of Omega Pathetic gear since then.

If we lived our lives and made product purchases based on a premise that didnt harm or infringe upon other people or the environment....we'd be sitting lotus position on our Buckwheat filled meditation cushion. Every modern choice we make comes at a cost to someone or something.

So put on your petroleum based/slave labor jacket and get out there and have some fun instead of worrying about it. We all die sometime.

Save a tree, choke a whale. wave.gif

Employment for prisoners is a good thing. Look, these guys are captive, so if they don't do something productive, they are going to just learn to become better criminals. It isn't like it is slave labor, as working is voluntary. They get paid, they just don't get to go to a conventional home at night. Learning or re-learning responsibility makes them better citizens, such that hopefully they can lead straight lives upon being released. Plus, you are assured of having an honest employee since these guys are given quite a bit of scrutiny so that if they get out of line it will be noticed.

Back to the original thread, you sure can't tell from the picture how this device might perform any different than what is already out there.

Maybe we could get a moderator to help us move this prison labor stuff to a new thread?

Chirp, I agree that all choices have costs, but there is a big difference in environmental, social, and health costs between:

2004-HUMMER-H2.jpg

and

nissan.gif

Our purchasing choices DO make a difference.

wave.gif

I don't have a problem with prisoners working per se. It can act as rehabilitation and give the prisoner some skill he/she could use when they get out thereby preventing recitivism. However, the supervisors/wardens of those prisoners need to be scrutinized pretty carefully to insure that there is no abuse going on. It's a potentially dangerous situation when you give anyone that much power over another person. Abu Ghraib? Stanford Prison Experiment? Etc. Especially when a profit motive is involved.

It's also potentially a problem when prison labor competes with private companies/individuals for jobs. It's not an intractable problem, but it is significant. Not many free individuals want to stamp license plates or clean up roadside trash.

Our purchasing choices DO make a difference.

wave.gif

Most definitely they do make a difference, I agree!

My main intended point was so many folks are eager to jump on the ethics bandwagon without realizing how hypocritical or naive they might be based on what their overall assessment of their current position and lifestyle might be.

I was a vegan for 10 years...until I realised the error of my ways. I now eat more meat than vegetables. Lesson learned; Meat does taste better than tvp.

...and I still own my Buckwheat filled meditation cushion.

Obviously we are beginning to see some minor thread drift which is a horrid developement and I for one apologise emphatically for my participation.

My ultimate jist for this thread is to just be open, have fun and treat others as you expect to be treated.

rolleyes.gifwave.gif