How old is the helmet?

ania

When Gary and I descended Ulrich's Couloir (the next gulley west of the Cascadian Couloir on Mt Stuart), we found this helmet (which shall soon become a hanging flowerpot). Gary was curious how old it might be and asked me to post photos, in case one of the... uh... more experienced people here might recognize it.

5034001_helmet-med.jpg

5034004_helmet-med.jpg

5034003a_UIAA.jpg

5034007_helmetmodel-med.jpg

Sexy, eh?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had one of those Joe Brown helmets. But I didn't buy it till The mid eighties when I retired my MSR Helmet. So it's not necesarilly 60's vintage. In fact Mo Antoine and Joe Brown didn't start producing them till '68. They are pretty heavy lunkers. I think The company is called HB now and they make a much lighter bucket for the noggin.

Edited by tread_tramp

Joe would never place more than a self-imposed limit of 2 pegs on a pitch preferring to leave harder routes for a later generation.

How cool is that? Futuristic thinking frequently comes from the wisdom of a previous generation.

Joe would never place more than a self-imposed limit of 2 pegs on a pitch preferring to leave harder routes for a later generation.

How cool is that? Futuristic thinking frequently comes from the wisdom of a previous generation.

Poppycock!!...let the future generations fill in the pockets and bypass the clips to have their own challenge. Buy NOW, pay later.

He also lists Cenotaph Corner under expeditions rolleyes.gif

Looks like the helmets Clint Eastwood's climbing partners were wearing on the Eiger Sanction (cool Clint was wearing a construction-style bucket). If Hollywood is any mark to be relied upon (ha!), then one could assume climbers were using those helmets around the time that movie was made in 1977...

Shit!!! This may be my buddies helmet! About 12 yrs ago we climbed the north ridge. After a long day of waiting behind a group of 4 that would not let us pass we simu climbed past. In fading light he lead up a harder portion of the final wall and took a fall about 25 ft from the top and dislocated his shoulder. Long story short - he had to be helied out, I walked out. Me and another party hauled him to the summit after some fancy rope work. His helmet popped of the back of his pack to who knows where. It was an orange Joe Brown. He's mt biking in CO this week - I tell him about it when he returns. F****** A!

Question for ania....were you intentionally descending Ulrichs?

Yes. smile.gif Gary and I had ascended the West Ridge by our own variation. On the summit, we discussed whether to go down the Cascadian or Ulrich's. We'd heard the Cascadian was easier. We knew some CC fellow named ChucK had just descended Ulrich's. We were standing at the top of Ulrich's, and one false summit away from the Cascadian. All that weighed together sent us down Ulrich's.

Heck, if you want the whole trip report:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/ania/Stuart/trip_report.html

Shit!!! This may be my buddies helmet!

Jim -- we found it pretty far down, almost where the trees begin again. I'd be surprised if it had tumbled that far and not gotten stopped somewhere earlier. But if your buddy remembers what stickers it had on it, this helmet does have two spots where stickers once were. Tell me what shape they were and I'll tell you if they match. I hope he doesn't want me to return my new flowerpot to him, though.