new 15a

Dru

i see on the web there (ukclimbing.com) that john gaskins has climbed a new 5.15a, britain's first.

it is 6m long and has 2 bolts.

basically a bolted boulder problem. how long till someone does a pad ascent? any bets?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many people on this site rag on new hard sport/boulder ascents? Is it jealousy? It would be one thing to bag them as insignificant if you were a super burly alpine climber, but let's face it, none of the people who cop holier-than-thou attitudes on this website are super burly. They're just cranks. How lame.

i see on the web there (ukclimbing.com) that john gaskins has climbed a new 5.15a, britain's first.

it is 6m long and has 2 bolts.

basically a bolted boulder problem. how long till someone does a pad ascent? any bets?

As a boulder problem, that would equal an unprecedented V18. Given the length of the "route", it must be a rather burly affair.

Why do so many people on this site rag on new hard sport/boulder ascents? Is it jealousy? It would be one thing to bag them as insignificant if you were a super burly alpine climber, but let's face it, none of the people who cop holier-than-thou attitudes on this website are super burly. They're just cranks. How lame.

schweet post! That's it in a nutshell...

The reason is because most people on this site are alpine climbers at heart regardless of ability. I can surely appreciate someone doing some very hard technical climbing, but we're only talking about 30 ft of rock. If you want to truely stir the emotions of people on this board you need to post about a sick multi-day and/or mutli-pitch ascent. Search back through the posts about the Hubers on Zodiac or Dean Potter in Patagonia. People were giving them lots of props.

5.15a~=V18 I don't think that's right.

http://www.bouldering.com/bouldering_ratingsconversion_cha.htm

In any case I thought sport routes usually get rated up a little just to factor in getting pumped, having to rest, and clip pro.

Interesting. Guess it depends on whose grading scale you're using.

Not that 5.15 or Vwhateverteen are terms that can actually be understood by those of us not spawned by gods. cry.gif

The reason is because most people on this site are alpine climbers at heart regardless of ability. I can surely appreciate someone doing some very hard technical climbing, but we're only talking about 30 ft of rock. If you want to truely stir the emotions of people on this board you need to post about a sick multi-day and/or mutli-pitch ascent. Search back through the posts about the Hubers on Zodiac or Dean Potter in Patagonia. People were giving them lots of props.

Well put. I admire the strength needed to crank out hard little routes, but it doesn't interest me much. I must admit, the 'ethical debates', backstabbing, chipping, and shit talking associated with rock climbing in particular are major turn-offs. Give me mountains any day. I guess I'm just not social. hahaha.gifhahaha.gif

Now that everyone is on the angrymidget power plan....the world should watch out.

Tho personally I could careless what some Cpt. Coolguy is up to...chagnes how I climb none. I will always be more interested in my friends 5.4 ascents.

hah! i aint no midget...just thought that luke was a little overboard on that comment.

personally it is the 5.9+ +dirt routes that get me jazzed...although 5.4 is really good too.

a 6meter problem is hardly worth bolting no matter how shitty the landing. what a typical british wanker.

obviouosly he wasn't in the gritzone.

The Fly 5 meters long v13/14 or 14d

Violent New Breed 6m long v14/15 or 15a

V18? are you on drugs?

Sheesh, just click on the grading scale link in DFA's post above. It's from 8a.nu. If you continue the V scale the way they have it, that's what 5.15a would clock in at.

Don't go crucifyin' the Doctor like he's Michael Moore, now! cry.gif