Flaming SUVs

Jim

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
The problem with this axiom in this case is I doubt the guy doing the SUV torching knew what the sentence would be if he got caught. This in no way excuses him from those acts, though.

22 years for $40,000 damage. Sounds ridiculous to me in spite of how it might compare to corporate looting, et al. On its own terms, 22 years for $40k is pretty darn harsh. However, on the flip side, if you can equate his actions to a form of domestic terrorism (a valid argument), you could reason that setting a strong precedent was warranted.

Furthermore concerning the numbers, think of what it will cost the goverment to feed, clothe, and house this guy for 22 years. If, say it costs even a measly $30,000 per year (which is likely low), and say he gets out for good behavior in 7 years, then it will still have costed the government >$200,000 to keep him incarcerated for what amounted to 1/5 the monetary damage in the first place.

I don't know. Just food for thought. I'm certainly not a judge but, in my way of thinking, I would say this act he got caught for ought to have a penalty of about 2 years in jail and $100,000 in fines/damage reparations.

I guaratnee you guys would be claiming the same if it was some dude that caused $40k of damage to "washingtonians against gun violence" in the name of gun rights. rolleyes.gif

Absolutely not Josh. That's my point that the message sent does not justify the crime. There is a right way to go about political activism (or whatever you call what he did) and a wrong way. I don't support crazy anti-abortion wackjobs or anyone who commits a violent crime in the name of a political or religious message no matter if it's conservative or not for the same reason. People who think this kind of behavior is ok or acceptable should get some help or get a life. fruit.gif

Non violent activism is fine by me, I say exercise your right. thumbs_up.gif

I was working a construction job after school one year and an arsonist torched a church also under construction right across the street. Burned it to the ground. He had no way of knowing where it would stop either and he's in prison for life.

In contrast: Squamish Five

The five all served relatively short sentences. Ann Hansen was sentenced to life but paroled after eight years. All are now out of prison.

You can't really compare Canada and the US though. Shit, in Canada hard drugs like marajuana are legal.

Nice link, I'd never heard of the "Squamish Five." I find the history of militant domestic (I'll include Canada) radicals fascinating. I recently rented a documentary on "The Weather Underground" that was fascinating. The Weatherman were a violent faction offshoot of the SDS. They bombed properties that were symbolic of what they thought was an oppressive regime. It was intersting to hear their reflections after they had 20 years to think about what they had done. None of them ended up serving jail time for their activities in that organization because during trial preparation it came out that the FBI's COINTEL program had engaged in totally illegal activity, thus invalidating most of the evidence against the radicals.

There were some pissed off hippies after the 60's who resorted to violence to change things they felt they had little control over, and much of that history has been glossed over.

On the other side of the political spectrum was The Order, which went down in flames in 1984 on Whidbey Island.

- a s s m * n k e y

That's what you get for being a domestic terrorist. He is responsible for the other shit ELF did just through association with that organization as far as I care. I hate SUV's as much as the next guy, but if I tried that shit with everyone who pissed me off... this website would be empty. wave.gif

So all of the NRA people should do prison time because one bad apple killed some people?

That's what you get for being a domestic terrorist. He is responsible for the other shit ELF did just through association with that organization as far as I care. I hate SUV's as much as the next guy, but if I tried that shit with everyone who pissed me off... this website would be empty. wave.gif

So all of the NRA people should do prison time because one bad apple killed some people?

The NRA's mission statement is not to overthrow the government and commit illegal activities. ELF is designed as a terrorist organization. Also, the act was claimed by ELF. The act by an individual NRA memeber was not claimed by the NRA.

I disagree, but regardless, The main premise of the NRA is not to break the law. THe main premise of ELF is to break the law. Your parallel is flagrantly lacking.

I'm glad you disagree. But there is no proof associating him - no evidence!

I disagree, but regardless, The main premise of the NRA is not to break the law. THe main premise of ELF is to break the law. Your parallel is flagrantly lacking.

Other than accepting responsibility, you mean?

Here is a similar assertion. A democrat murdered someone... they should all pay. rolleyes.gif