Favorite Jacket

eternalX

What's your favorite jacket? What jacket ALWAYS makes it into your pack during the summer? I need a new (or used) one soon and there are so many choices. Thinking about just getting a Marmot Oracle for the time being and maybe a new winter jacket later on to replace this big, bulky, heavy NF i've had for several years and normally use for boarding. Would a Sirrus handle both jobs well? But SO much money...egad man. That stuff ain't cheap.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the forecast, I have a Cloudveil Cascade Jacket (Schoeller Dynamic, no hood) and a Patagonia Dimension jacket that get's taken most often. I run a little warmer and sweat more than my partners so I don't do hardshells.

I'd look at a lightweight (and cheap) top like this:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.14096/dept_id./qx/product.htm

and then get something with a hood to put on when the weather is crappy.

I should note that I currently have a marmot driclime and a big heavy Goretox NF guide jacket (noted earlier. it's fine for boarding in, but i'd assume get rid of it). I'm thinking about buying a precip on sale at rei-outlet right now, to tag with the driclime...

in the summer i mostly wear a cheap MEC Genie nylon windshirt as a jacket because it is lighter than a schoeller jacket. also it weighs nothing and packs down to the size of a hamburger. cheeburga_ron.gif

I've had bad luck with nylon windshirts. I abraded the hell out of a marmot dryclimb the first time I wore it and managed to do the same thing with a standard nylon windbreaker from gi joes. Maybe I'm sizing them to small, but they seem to be sized for stickboys. fruit.gif

I have had good luck with the stretch fabric stuff though like schoeller. I realize it's quite a bit heavier and bulkier but, I can usually climb one grade harder with it, even if its just riding in my pack. rolleyes.gif

Schoeller boxing_smiley.gif Nylon

Favourite summer jacket?

Well used to be my mountain harweader tempest SL jacket.

was waterproof - fully featured, light AND acted as an insulative layer (for colder nights or during rain) since

it had a brushed inner fleece layer.

^^amazing piece and a staple