Bill Robins R.I.P.

pindude

Another tragedy in NW Climbing. The following post I received this morning through the FCCC (Frenchman Coulee Climbers Coalition) e-mail list:

quote:

Subject: Bill Robins: RIP

I'm very sorry to report that Bill Robins was killed in a climbing accident in Bolivia. I don't have any further details at this time.

My condolences to friends and family.

Brian in SLC

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those wanting more detail, I received further info in a message sent this morning to FCCC members from Paul Certa, Bill's long-time partner:

quote:

I learned of Bill's death from his parents on Tuesday. I just received confirmation of some of the facts and circumstances surrounding his death from the American Embassy in La Paz.

Bill Robins died on Sunday, July 7th, 2002 in Bolivia on the Cerro Condoriri. The American Embassy in La Paz learned of Bill's death on July 9th through a phone call from their security patrol. The security patrol received a call on July 8th from the head of Adventure Company Climbing. She informed the Embassy that Bill and his climbing partner, Gabriel Llanos, were killed in a climbing accident on Sunday morning, July 7th. A rescue team recovered Bill and Gabriel and brought them both to La Paz. According to the forensic doctor at the Hospital del Torax in La Paz, the cause of death was trauma and hypothermia due to a 200 meter fall.

From looking at Bolivian news reports, I believe that the cause of the accident was an avalanche. I will post an update if I learn of more details.

Bill's parents will be holding a simple graveside service in Utah as soon as arrangements can be made (possibly next week). No formal memorial services are planned for Richland, WA. However, his parents will be visiting soon and there may be an informal gathering at that time.

My condolences to Bill's friends and family. Controversial, yes, but a big influence on NW climbing, and he will be missed.

--Steve Reynolds, Spokane

It is such a small world! I clicked on this post to see if there was some new controversy that was being stirred up.

I read about the death of someone local that I did not know and then also learned of the death of a good friend. I climbed with Gaby Llano in Ecuador earlier this year. He is one of the best climbers in Ecuador and had a love for life, people and climbing that I had not experienced before. He was afraid of something like this happening and did not want to leave his young wife and son without a husband and father.

What an absolute tragedy! So many dreams unfulfilled.

I started this thread, so feel the responsibility to continue to pass on appropriate info. Memorial service for Bill on July 23, Tuesday in Richland, as sent to FCCC this a.m. by Paul Certa, Bill's climbing partner:

quote:

Bill's parents will be holding a simple service in Utah. No formal memorial services are planned for Richland, WA. However, there are plans for on informal remembrance gathering in Richland on Tuesday, July 23rd; his parents plan to attend. Please contact me directly for more information, preferably by email.

Since I have not communicated with Paul, I am reluctant to post his personal contact info he provided at the end of the above msg to the FCCC, but you are welcome to e-mail me and I will pass it on ASAP.

--Steve Reynolds, Spokane

As Posted at the M2 website:

Gabriel Llano brings a local_s perspective to all our Ecuador trips. Born and raised in Ecuador "Gaby" has interesting insights to Andean culture. His extensive experience in the mountains of South America make him an exceptional guide for our Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina expeditions. Gaby_s smile and caring personality make him a favorite.

M2 - Guides [Frown]