Required Reading

Fat_Teddy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article suggested that "back then" the people didn't criticize the judgement of those running the government. If you don't think Lincoln wasn't criticized for his actions during the Civil War, you better go do some reading. Lincoln had a huge number of detractors who fought him tooth and nail. The country was divided. It was only through his keen political skills that Lincoln was able to stay the course.

Funny, I didn't get that at all.

No, I'm not gonna even fuckin bother to look

Of course you aren't, because you're making up facts again. I'm beginning to see a trend with you. Caught lying, making up facts.....

It's a take on the idiots who trump up minor flaws and use them to overshadow the greater good. It's a stab at morons who cry about the injustices of Abu Grhaib, and use them as examples of the failures, rather than talk of the good. It's a call for the naysayers to shut the hell up and do some good, rather than sit within the safety the troops provide and criticize them.

It's a call for people like you to don a uniform and serve your country, rather than sit back and cry foul over situations you've never been in. Rather than insult the memory who have given it all so you can sleep at night, while you're too scared to walk in their boots. It's asking people like you to shut the hell up, one day a year, and remember my friends who actually know what honor, God, and country means.

This is an interesting take on the situation. I say this because of all the people screaming about the Abu Ghraeb incident, most of them seem to focus their ire not on the soliders, but on the administration...at least that's my perception. I've written here before that when the arab street is "outraged" over Abu Ghraeb but show no outrage over Berg, Pearl, Quattrocchi, mutilated bodies, etc they have NO moral standing and their "outrage" is an absurdity.

Be that as it may, I didn't get this out of the article at all. In fact, I thought is was a very poorly constructed argument attempting to compare conflics that essentially have no basis of comparison. An elective war, in direct opposition to policies of containment advocated by Condi Rice, Colin Powell, Gen. Anthony Zinni, etc is quite different from a war on our own soil or something on the scale of the WWs. I don't find a valid basis of comparison.

Zinni's take is worth reading:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=50925

I've been in uniform. I have friends in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I opposed this war from the beginning, and I pitched in among friends to foot the bill for kevlar for J who would otherwise have shipped without it. I don't direct any of my contempt for this war at the military, but squarely at this inept administration.

I have stated before that I believe Iran, Pakistan, and N. Korea are more of a threat to us than Iraq ever was. All it will take in Pakistan is one coup...a coup that has already been attempted on Musharaf twice. One coup, one jihad jerky ascends to power, and they have the nuke. As far as harboring terrorists I believe Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Yemen, and Pakistan are far worse than Iraq ever was. I think this administration was more focused on trying a strategic way to democratize the region than on any clear/imminent/gathering threat. They had ready-made excuses to invade Iraq...and to be honest, Saddam deserved to be swept from power for failing to adhere to the UN resolutions, firing at our planes patrolling the No Fly Zones, etc. The rush, and the criminally poor planning are my beef. When you are the best fighting force in the world, how can you not provide your troops with the equipment, planning, training, and numbers to do the job properly? The administration is the one who have failed our troops, not those who opposed sending them into a rushed, poorly planned war without a broad level of international support and assistance both militarily and financially.

Yeah

Of course you aren't, because you're making up facts again. I'm beginning to see a trend with you. Caught lying, making up facts.....

Sounds like Martlet!

Hey --I served four years in the Army Infantry (1975-1979). Can I criticize Bush and Dumsfeld? I'm really enjoying watching this administration go down in flames. the_finger.gif

The article suggested that "back then" the people didn't criticize the judgement of those running the government. If you don't think Lincoln wasn't criticized for his actions during the Civil War, you better go do some reading. Lincoln had a huge number of detractors who fought him tooth and nail. The country was divided. It was only through his keen political skills that Lincoln was able to stay the course.

Actually, Catbird, having federal troops close down the Chicago Tribune and suspending Habeas Corpus helped too, I suppose. rolleyes.gif Had McLellan been a viable contender, I often wonder if Lincoln would have cancelled the election altogether. Kinda makes John Ashcroft looks like Thomas Jefferson, eh?

This is an interesting take on the situation. I say this because of all the people screaming about the Abu Ghraeb incident, most of them seem to focus their ire not on the soliders, but on the administration...at least that's my perception. I've written here before that when the arab street is "outraged" over Abu Ghraeb but show no outrage over Berg, Pearl, Quattrocchi, mutilated bodies, etc they have NO moral standing and their "outrage" is an absurdity.

I've been in uniform. I have friends in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I opposed this war from the beginning, and I pitched in among friends to foot the bill for kevlar for J who would otherwise have shipped without it. I don't direct any of my contempt for this war at the military, but squarely at this inept administration.

I have stated before that I believe Iran, Pakistan, and N. Korea are more of a threat to us than Iraq ever was. All it will take in Pakistan is one coup...a coup that has already been attempted on Musharaf twice. One coup, one jihad jerky ascends to power, and they have the nuke. As far as harboring terrorists I believe Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Yemen, and Pakistan are far worse than Iraq ever was. I think this administration was more focused on trying a strategic way to democratize the region than on any clear/imminent/gathering threat. They had ready-made excuses to invade Iraq...and to be honest, Saddam deserved to be swept from power for failing to adhere to the UN resolutions, firing at our planes patrolling the No Fly Zones, etc. The rush, and the criminally poor planning are my beef. When you are the best fighting force in the world, how can you not provide your troops with the equipment, planning, training, and numbers to do the job properly? The administration is the one who have failed our troops, not those who opposed sending them into a rushed, poorly planned war without a broad level of international support and assistance both militarily and financially.

Now that right there is some excellent posting! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Here's my wager:

Fat Teddy = Martlet

Ain't the sharpest marble in the baggie now are we? smirk.gif

Scott: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't marbles supposed to be round (you know like a hemisphere)? Why would one desire a "sharp" marble? Are you trying to make a point?

Here's my wager:

Fat Teddy = Martlet

Scott: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't marbles supposed to be round (you know like a hemisphere)? Why would one desire a "sharp" marble? Are you trying to make a point?

Sharp refers to how mentally astute you are. If one marble of many in a bag of marbles, your chances of being smart are not so great... Shit I am young and I know these phrases. rolleyes.gif

Here's my wager:

Fat Teddy = Martlet

Just a minor point, NOLSe:

a 'hemisphere' would only constitute half of a marble. wink.gif

Here's my wager:

Fat Teddy = Martlet

Just a minor point, NOLSe:

a 'hemisphere' would only constitute half of a marble. wink.gif

DOH! HA! wave.gifwave.gif

Thanks for the clarification. I've never heard that one before... guess it's a Canada junior college thing...

I am NOT Canadian... nor do I attend a junior college... nor have I ever.

Sorry, "sharpest marble" is not the expression...you could try:

brightest bulb in the bunch

sharpest tack in the box

etc. etc.

you still have to match the adjective with the noun dipshit. So, in other words, NOLse is right, "sharpest marble in the bag" is pretty dumb.