June 15

Dru

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've loved the Beasties since 1986 (being on the west coast I didn't hear their earlier hardcore stuff until much later). Each of their albums holds a unique spot in my memory, each one defines a period of my life, each represents a slice of my life. Though I love them all, I think their weakest album was Hello Nasty. Based only on having heard the most recent radio single (chchchcheckitout), it sounds like their new stuff is similar to Hello Nasty.

I dunno. Maybe I'm getting old. I'm looking forward to the new album, but I've got low hopes for it. Part of me wants the Beasties to retire and produce other bands so they don't fade out doing re-hashed watered down rap. I've heard some say they did that with Hello Nasty.

But, I'll buy the new album when it comes out. And it will probably become the soundtrack for my summer.

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

back in ninth grade me n' my bros useta listed to Licensed to Ill like all the time; whole album was pretty much our anthem.

Check Yer Head's great too, is prolly on my top 15 favorite albums of all bands of all time ... lots of their other stuff is good, but none of it grabbed me like them two albums.

stoked to hear there's a new one comin'!

rockband.gifsnugtop.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Like Double_E, we too listened to Licensed to Ill all the time while cruising around in my hooptie (a hooptie I still have). Over and over the tape would play. We knew practically every lyric to every song.

"You got the bottle, we got the cup.

Come on everybody let's...

Brass Monkey! That funky monkey

Brass Monkey junkie. That funky monkey!"

Then, when my friend James and I heard the new album was coming out ("Paul's Boutique") we made sure to arrive at the mall music store when they first opened expecting a big waiting line to purchase the album. There was no line at all. Doh! Buying the album was as easy as eggin' the eggman.

Later, all my rap tapes were stolen while in college and I haven't really listened to rap since. I have NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" on tape and "Paul's Boutique" on CD. That's the extent of my rap library now. I use to have so many more. I just grew out of the music genre, I guess.

You send me some blank CDs and I can bury you...

If you like the old school flavor check out Ugly Duckling - Taste the Secret... solid old school indy and it will take you back (so I'm told... I'm still a young pup…). If your hip hop genesis included De La and Jungle Brothers you'll dig it.

Yeah, that is kind of funny isn't it.

Paul's Boutique was one of the first CDs I ever bought back in the early 90's (probably 1990). The tape version was stolen with the rest. I just had to replace the album featuring my name, now didn't I?

As for Straight Outta Compton, I think the only reason I have that one is because it wasn't in my tape storage box in my car when the box was stolen. Easy E and Dr. Dre and company were saved! grin.gif

Nolse, my friend James used to have the Beastie's pre-rap album called "Pollywog Stew" or whatever it was called. Does that ring a bell?

madgo_ron.gif I am so jealous...

My LP shipped today (viva analog!)... sometimes I hate having to wait for it but on the flip usually the schwag makes it worth it... I think this one is coming with a bonus 7" remix

LP?? AS ON VINEL?? DO YOU HAVE A RECORD PLAYER??

f so if I ship you all my old punk albums will you please record them for me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE??? cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Not just a record player...

technics-sldz1200-cu.jpg

I am still experimenting with recording devices for getting it from vinyl to CD, but once I get things squared away (i.e happy with the final product… currently the sound quality is diminished greatly in the process) I would be glad to help out (especially since I can keep a copy of your records).