Accident on Mt. Rainier

chris_w

Dennis Harman:

"I argree whole-heartedly, but it ain't gonna happen because you're dealing with an entire generation of people who see climbing as nothing more than a means with which to further their resumes. These people do not have any real appreciation, or respect, for the mountains. They are just going to continue going up there and dying, in droves, and make us all look like ass-holes."

Dennis you really need to take those pills AlpineK was talking about. An "entire generation"? Which generation is that?

And really what the hell do you mean by "climbing as nothing more than a means with which to further their resumes"? On thier resume? Are you serious? Do you actually think people go out and climb so they can list it on thier resume? [Confused] You have to be kidding.

And just who the hell are "These people" and why do you think they "do not have any real appreciation, or respect, for the mountains"?

Your statement is so generalized and baseless it reeks of arragance. Stop making such simple-simon assumptions about these inujred climbers.

Put your SCUBA tanks on and go play in your bathtub.

[laf][laf][laf]

I'll reserve comment on the injured and thier actions until a complete report is made.

[ 06-26-2002, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Rodchester ]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

ADR-901, I argree whole-heartedly, but it ain't gonna happen because you're dealing with an entire generation of people who see climbing as nothing more than a means with which to further their resumes. These people do not have any real appreciation, or respect, for the mountains. They are just going to continue going up there and dying, in droves, and make us all look like ass-holes. Dennis ---- "Alive people are always smarter than dead people."

DENNIS,

lez go climin sumtime soon. iz b purty good un bin climin fer 10 yurs. i luv dem mowtinS..soo mauch. leh me no soon!!

erik (age 24) publick skool

quote:

No real media frenzy....yet.

Nope...not yet, but the crotchety old jack asses have already started running their mouth about how any young climber who gets into an accident must:

1) suck

2) have no respect for the mountain

3) should never have started climbing to begin with

yeah...good idea...go take those pills.

So . . uh h. .. I don't know how to say this. uh I climbed the south side of hood once. What do you guys think about attempting the Willis Wall on Raineer right now? I hear its a bit more challenging and steep. In my ass. . er assessment I estimate that all them rocks and snow cookies will just fly over my head on a steep route. What do you guys think. Also if I have to use my cell to call the rescue on a steep slope maybe the copter won't crash. I'm flyin up from florida tomorrow. Yeeee haaaa

For those who commented on my post: Ok, maybe this guy from Pennsyvania was not a yahoo and yes I agree even experienced climbers can take a rock to the head as well. So my post was not timely in context. But I will still maintain the Liberty Ridge has been the scene of many accidents and I will attribute many of them to the fact that inexperienced climbers are getting over their head on this route. In a way, maybe it's good that Rainier has been in the public eye with some deaths and accidents. Maybe some of these climbers will re-assess their abilities before tackling such a serious route on a serious mountain. I'm willing to bet the accident rate doubled on Liberty Ridge after the publication of "50 Classic Climbs"!

Also, my post did not attempt to say I was more "qualified" than the kid from Pennsyvania. But now that you mention it, I probably am. Maybe that guy makes climbing trips to Washington every year but maybe this was his first time on Rainier. I moved to Washington (from Maine/Utah) because this IS the best place to get "qualified".

[ 06-26-2002, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: David Parker ]