Trailhead thefts

NEWSTIPS

Hi CC.com folks. It's your favorite (or despised?) news gal looking for feedback on a story I am trying to do this weekend (Sunday, May 9).

I know you guys are more climber than hiker oriented, but I am hoping that some of you are hikers as well and can help me out with this story.

We received the e-mail pasted below and are working on a story on this matter for this Sunday. I have lined up to tlak to the King Co Sheriff's Dept about what sort of problems they are aware of and what they are doing to combat the thefts. I am wondering if any of you know someone whose car was broken into or who was a victim of this type of credit card theft (which I had not heard of before) who would be willing to talk to KING 5 about the problem.

From what the sheriff's Dept is telling me, this is a recurring problem...not really increasing in scope, but not really decreasing either.

Does anyone have any constructive feedback?

Message we received as follows:

Hello all !!! I have a friend who is a King County police officer, in North Bend, and he has told me to be aware of an escalating amount of car thefts at all trailheads along the I-90 corridor. Do not leave your wallets, checkbooks, cell phones, etc. in your cars (put them in your packs while hiking). He also told me of some instances where people vandalize the car, scan information such as credit cards, then leave the car looking as if it hadn't been bothered. Those hikers find out later of huge purchase amounts on their credit card accounts. Anyway, be proactive and pack your valuables out!!

Please warn your fellow hiking comrades!!!

---------------------------------------------

Thank for any help you guys can give.

Elizabeth Berman

Assignment Editor

KING 5 TV

(206) 448-3850 or (800) 456-3975

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been a serious, frequent, ongoing problem for a couple years now. You might try searching the forum for the many threads on it. "Vigilante" might be a good search word. I remember one where someone got a picture and a partial plate, too. The cops have been less than helpful and/or interested in doing much of anything.

Maybe they could spend less time generating revenue through mindless programs like "Clickit or Ticket" and actually do some protecting and serving by trying to catch the clowns?

I had my wallet lifted out of my car at the Highpoint TH a few years ago. I accidentally left the car unlocked and they took just the wallet, leaving a cell phone, CD, and some other goodies. The charge trail started in Issaquah and went down to Pierce county.

-L

...I am wondering if any of you know someone whose car was broken into or who was a victim of this type of credit card theft (which I had not heard of before) who would be willing to talk to KING 5 about the problem...

... He also told me of some instances where people vandalize the car, scan information such as credit cards, then leave the car looking as if it hadn't been bothered...

Same kinda shit has been happening at Leavenworth, but Larry the Tool has had his head so far up his ass for so long, he can't pull it out and wipe off his glasses to do anything about it. Except hassle innocent dirtbag climbers.

Unfortunately, due to time constraints, coming to Leavenworth is a bit of a stretch for us.

Thanks for the input, though. I'll keep it in mind in case we're ever out that way on another story. Perhaps we can make it a two-fer!

Exit 38 has had by far rthe longest stretch of continueing problems in the area. The Exit 38 Bandit, as he is commonly referred to, is very good at breaking into climbers' cars, using some scanning equipment to scan credit cards and ATM cards, actually putting the cards back, and locking up your car: you never even know he was there until your account is overdraw!!!

He has been at it for years and no one can stop him. Search the posts on this site. There is plenty of info on his dirty work posted here.

Thanks for the info. That's exactly the angle we're looking to do...about the credit cards and such being scanned. Do you know anyone who has fallen victim to this guy? My King Co maps don't give trail names..what trailhead is that at exit 38?

He has been at it for years and no one can stop him.

Let's amend that to 'no one with the legal authority to catch him'. One also might argue that it requires spending less time concerned with the optimizing the routes between doughnut establishments or finding new napping locations behind strip malls. That or having an intelligence greater than that of a small porcelin soap dish.

Last year over Labor day weekend, the Snow Lake TH was nailed big time. Over 30 cars busted into and I mean busted. 27 vehicles had a front window (driver or passenger side) smashed and a couple windshields were also smashed.

Can you believe it? Glass all over the lot and stuff spewed from vehicles making the area look like a garage sale.

One vehicle, some folks from out of state and carrying everything they'd need for a couple weeks on the road really got ripped off. A friend of mine arrived on the scene after it had happened (early a.m.) and he immediately

went back to L-worth and called the sheriff. Not a damn thing the sheriff could do after the fact but my point in relating this story is, don't leave anything of value in your vehicle, nada.

Oh yeah, the few vehicles that weren't busted into were cars that already looked like they had been busted into.

Its a bad deal when the TH's become more dangerous to leave your car at then downtown Seattle.

Thanks for all your help guys. The infortmation has been useful. I am still lacking someone to go on camera who has actually been a victim of trailhead thefts (and it seems like there are plenty of folks affected by this)...in which case the story will die because there's no story if there's no "victim". Sad, but true fact of the news business. I can't make it seem like we're the ones complaining about it when it is clear that there are plenty of people out there who are pissed off about the safety situation out there on the trailheads because something has actually happened to them.

If anyone who has had a car break-in at a trailhead wants to do an interview with us, please don't hesitate to call us or drop me an e-mail.

Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'm sure the thieves are ready to start up their summer business again!

Elizabeth Berman

Assignment Editor

KING 5 TV

(206) 448-3850

eberman@king5.com

squmish is facing similar problems. a week ago friday i returned to my car in the loggers lane parking lot and spoke to a woman parked beside me who had her truck broken into and had the battery disconnected (weird). they took her credit cards and cash. i dumbly asked why she had left that stuff in her car and she replied that she had nowhere else to put it. and get this--she's a local!

live and learn i guess.

My car was one of about 40 broken into one evening at the Snow Creek parking lot in Leavenworth last year. I felt like I did more investigation than the county sherrif did. What was interesting about it was what they didn't take. We had CDs and too much gear in one car and they didn't take any of it, looked like they were just looking for phones and wallets. I had a pretty interesting conversation with my insurance company, I guess they had been getting a ton of claims. I might be willing to talk on camera.