Important news from the BBC!

Peter_Puget

Guns N' Roses' anthem Sweet Child O' Mine has the greatest guitar riff ever, according to a poll in a music monthly.

Total Guitar magazine's readers put it in top place, ahead of Nirvana's grunge anthem Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love came third, followed by Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water.

Total Guitar editor Scott Rowley said: "To a new generation of guitarists, Guns N' Roses are more thrilling than the Sex Pistols."

He added: "This poll shows the so-called canon of classic rock - the Led Zeppelins, Eric Claptons, Jimi Hendrix - is as popular as ever, but being added to all the time.

"Riffs are an interesting measure of people's tastes because they're usually easy to play and very catchy - they're the hook of the song."

The magazine's last poll, conducted five years ago, saw Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love top the list, followed by Smoke On The Water and Layla, recorded by Eric Clapton as Derek and the Dominoes.

More than 2,000 readers took part in the poll.

The top 21 riffs:

LTIA Pt. II - King Crimson

1. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses

2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

3. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

4. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

5. Enter Sandman - Metallica

6. Layla - Derek & The Dominoes/Eric Clapton

7. Master Of Puppets - Metallica

8. Back In Black - AC/DC

9. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix

10. Paranoid - Black Sabbath

11. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne

12. All Right Now - Free

13. Plug In Baby - Muse

14. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

15. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen

16. Walk This Way - Aerosmith w Run DMC

17. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream

18. No-One Knows - Queens Of The Stone Age

19. Paradise City - Guns N' Roses

20. Killing In The Name - Rage Against The Machine

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns and Roses suck, and that stupid "Sweet child o'mine" song sucks too. I remember when that crappy album came out. And Metallica sucks, too. "Enter Sandman" is a cover, they didn't even write that riff. What gives with that?

At least Sabbath made the list.

And I'm surprised to see Rage on the list. Rage is cool.

Rage and Sabbath. I bet I could survive a west coast driving trip listening to only Rage and Sabbath. Oh wait, I have.

fruit.gif

- a s s m moon.gif n k ey

Guns and Roses suck, and that stupid "Sweet child o'mine" song sucks too. - a s s m moon.gif n k ey

Agreed. Guns and Roses SUCK BALLS. that song blows.

Everyone know the greatest guitar riff is 'Life in the Fast Lane" by those fucking cokeheads the Eagles. hellno3d.gifrockband.gifboxing_smiley.gifthumbs_down.gif

I love "Polls" I've got a "poll" I'd like to administer.

The funniest skits I have ever seen on SNL are Christopher Walken skits. The Census skit is hilarious.

Census-Taker: Mr. Leonard? I'm with the U.S. Census Bureau. We sent you a Census form, but you failed to return it to us.

Mr. Leonard: My mail is piled up like crazy.

Census-Taker: Yeah. Well, I just need to fill out this Census form with you. Uh.. how many people live in this residence?

Mr. Leonard:Oh, boy.. good question. I'm bad with numbers.. Maybe 80.

Census-Taker: 80 people live in this apartment?

Mr. Leonard: Seems high, doesn't it? Not 80. How about 4? I don't know.. I'm so bad at guestimating..

Census-Taker: Well, just take your time, and count.

Mr. Leonard: Okay.. there's me.. my wife.. our plants.. we have some candy bars..

Census-Taker: Well, you know, we don't count candy bars or plants..

Mr. Leonard: Well, then, there's just the two of us. Boy, I really overshot with the 80!

etc... yelrotflmao.gif