Know a Good Knee Doctor?

Greg_W

Dr. Richard Zorn, in Seattle, 206 386-2600 one of the best knee guys around, fixed up two friends of mine.

Dr. Kevin Smith, UW Physicians, Roosevelt clinic, good orthopidist who fixed my shoulder, but does knee work also. He can be hard to get an appointment with, don't know the number.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by michael_layton:

See a PT, chiropractor, or even a massage therapist before seeing a MD. Drugs and surgery are a last resort. Hope you get well soon.

Naaawww...forget going to your regular GP or family doc, who should gladly give you a referral to the best orthopedist he or she knows (or will send you to your request of Zorn, who seems to be the winner on this board so far). Maybe you should just go to an iridologist, reflexologist, astrologist, maybe even somebody who speaks in tongues. No, wait, how about a voodoo witch doctor! Yeah, that's the ticket! Heal fast!

Of course (Michael and other doctor-haters, this is for you), no MD who is worth her or his salt will carte blanche prescribe drugs or put you under the knife. He/she will take or read your history, listen to you, conduct appropriate tests and imagery, establish a correct diagnosis, may share with you his or her thinking process, and inform you of the logical, appropriate options--oftentimes it is only too apparent. Get real, Michael Layton, you're afraid of doctors. You need to get over it, and not spread bad info to others because of it.

I know the INW med system and personnel, and could help you over here, but it sounds like Zorn is the one in the Sound area. See him sooner rather than later to at least get your diagnosis and know what you're up against. Knee problems should not be put off any longer than possible, but you will be in competition with Zorn's other patients. If Zorn is any good, and it sounds like he is (and hopefully he is covered under your insurance), you probably have a long wait time to get an appt, and you may need your GP or family doc to pull strings to try and get you in to him sooner.

IMHO, fuck the chiropracter advice (especially for a knee!). A massage therapist is not appropriate either, obviously. Your orthopedist will zero in on your problem and prescribe the best, most appropriate treatment. That's what he spent the big bucks and all the years in college, med school, and as an intern and resident, and then sharpened his abilities through the experience of years of correctly diagnosing and treating likely thousands and thousands of people using the best that health care has to offer. When you're ready for it, Zorn or whoever you get as an orthopedist will likely know the good PT's around you (your GP may know, for that matter) who are climbers or skiers, to help you the best. It is more important for your rehab that your PT be a climber/skier, so you zero in on the appropriate exercises that may make you stronger than before.

Use our great health system to its fullest, and remember that you are your own best advocate when using it. Take nothing for granted, and continue to ask questions.

Greg, good luck, and--really--heal fast.

--pindude

[ 06-20-2002, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: pindude ]

Have some lingering side effects from an injury about a month ago and am thinking it might be wise to get checked out sometime. I'd prefer a doc who is a climber or skier, or works on a lot of the aforementioned. Would appreciate any, and all, help you guys can provide.

Greg [big Drink]

The frustrating thing can be that MDs are in many cases so reluctant to try surgery to fix things that you waste good years of your life waiting for them to come around. I'm six years since my accident, and except for about 2 decent years in the middle, have had tons of pain and misery....and docs telling me to deal with it. There comes a time when surgery is a reasonable option, and in my case it was long before I got a surgeon who was sensitive to the problem enough to agree that we can try something different.

So, if you've tried all the other stuff, don't be afraid to consider surgery. It's not the end of the world to do it, and it *might* make you all better.

Another vote for Zorn in Seattle, although my experience with him is also ten years old. He did arthroscopic meniscus repair on both of my knees and at the time was also the guy that did the knee work for the Supersonics. He was also an avid runner and very conscious of the needs of active athletes to get back to where they were physically. An interesting aside is that the anesthesiologist for my surgery was Dr. Skip Edmonds, a member of one or two of the Whittaker-led expeditions to K2. Every time my vitals would start drifting too low and I'd start dozing off, I remember he'd start asking me details of some specific climb I'd done. I don't think he really wanted to know, but just wanted to make me have to think a bit and stay awake. I appreciated it later once I realized what he was doing, but at the time I thought he was being sort of a pest and I just wanted to doze off. Seemed like a mean trick to load a guy up with a spinal and a strong sedative and then ask him to describe the crux pitches of the North Buttress of Slesse, and what kind of rack to take. God knows what I told him.

hey pinhead, do you actually know what you are talking about or you just shoot your mouth off and in major dumb way? so let me ask you this- you say fuck chiropractor or fuck the massage therapist. what is your opinion based on- medical facts of the conditon. are you giving dx here? i work as a massage therapist and let me tell you something- just saw a new patient today reffered by an MD (a suregeon) for a tx on a knee. So what do you say to that? simple case of inflamation in it band. you are so full of crap that it's not even worth my time to dwell on your misinformed and ill logic. get you facts straight.

surgery is the last resort, try some other things first. get a proper diagnosis, get a second opinion even third.

hey poser- if you don't work in a medical field- shut up. if you do work, your advice was down right un- ethical.

are you ever not pissed off?

do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Greg W asked for a referral to a good DOCTOR, not some self-absorbed massage therapist who thinks he's the end all be all because some MD sent him a patient. Why do I have to keep pointing out the obvious to you?

Sorry about the thread creep Greg, here's to a speedy recovery.

[big Drink]

crazypolishbob:

"hey pinhead, do you actually know what you are talking about or you just shoot your mouth off and in major dumb way? so let me ask you this- you say fuck chiropractor or fuck the massage therapist. what is your opinion based on- medical facts of the conditon. are you giving dx here?"

You're a real laugh, crazy, your credibility can be summed up in your name. And you've already proven yourself with some of your previous posts. Can you actually read? I said "fuck the chiropracter advice," especially for a knee. Do I need to spell out why to you? And yes, I do have a bias: MD's are generally much more capable than chiropracters, especially when it comes to orthopedists caring for knees...while I do realize there are many great and capable chiropracters out there, who provide appropriate care. I certainly did NOT say fuck the massage therapist...what I said was that a MT was NOT appropriate, especially to seek out an opinion first before that of an MD, as Michael Layton advised. So don't take this all so personally. Sheesh! I have nothing against MTs (except YOU now), nor indicated such in my original post. Your reading ability and judgment are obviously clouded by something. I have many friends who are licensed MT's, and I have received great MT care myself, including for Tx.

"what is your opinion based on- medical facts of the conditon. are you giving dx here?"

You say you're a health practitioner, and I hope you can read. Do you think I gave a Dx? For your sake, I hope not. What I did do was give general advice re. use of our health-care system. To put the shoe on the other foot, are you saying you yourself should be seeing Greg for his Dx?...I don't think so.

"i work as a massage therapist and let me tell you something- just saw a new patient today reffered by an MD (a suregeon) for a tx on a knee. So what do you say to that?"

Good for you dude (and no, I won't sink down to your level and start calling you derogatory names without cause in reality), I'm glad for you, really. Yes, MD's send patients to MT's for Tx, although it is not as common as sending them to PT's.

"simple case of inflamation in it band."

Huh? Put it in understandable English, dude.

"you are so full of crap that it's not even worth my time to dwell on your misinformed and ill logic. get you facts straight."

Whoa, dude, you're going further out there... Whose facts aren't straight? You obviously did spend time to dwell on it, but certainly not enough TO READ AND UNDERSTAND IT CLEARLY!

"surgery is the last resort, try some other things first. get a proper diagnosis, get a second opinion even third."

Waddayaknow? I somewhat agree, although I doubt Greg's insurance will pay for 3 opinions.

"hey poser- if you don't work in a medical field- shut up. if you do work, your advice was down right un- ethical."

I worked in the medical field as an office manager for a very successful private MD practice, and worked in hospital administration, but chose to leave it for better opportunities. I am still involved in the health industry on several levels. Okay...exactly how was it unethical, Mr. logical crazypolishbob? Judging by your rant here, dude, you are the LAST Massage Therapist I would see. I certainly would never climb with you. Did you have a bad day? Please re-read the WHOLE thread and my message--slowly, carefully, AND sober. You shot yourself in the foot, or worse.

Perhaps if you didn't hide behind an avatar, you wouldn't be so vehement. I may have wasted my time responding to you, in hopes you might see the light. What'll it be, dude, more ranting and name-calling, or honor and intelligence?

--Steve in Spokane

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

I have also heard good things about Dr. Zorn.

If you're nice, he might also write you a scrip for a Polish Bob Massage
[laf]

Rather have the "kneel 'n' bob massage". [laf][laf]

[ 06-21-2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Greg W ]

I didn't read any of the other stuff, but...

My orthopaedist is Dr. Charles Peterson Jr, at Seattle Ortho & Fracture Clinic. He is good and understands the needs of the outdoor types.

I just got cleared to get back in business today! Damn primary care misdiagnosed my injury and I am tendon detachment free! On to some buddy taping and climbing...

hgb

question- to joecock kania and pindude(dick)head. you both say many things, joe you said i did not give advice. how about you? i did not see a name for a md in your post. same with pindude- all you did was rip on mike, rip on chropractors and rip on every other speciality. as far as i see you had nothing to add to his question. i did post this because it torques me when some self absorbed opinionated lamo is pretending they are doing something. both of you are so lame that trying to expalin anything is just pure waste of time. and pindude- i wouldn't climb with you either, hate when people can't follow what i lead. you really look like a lame ass loser.

quote:

Originally posted by crazypolishbob:

question- to joecock kania and pindude(dick)head. you both say many things, joe you said i did not give advice. how about you? i did not see a name for a md in your post. same with pindude- all you did was rip on mike, rip on chropractors and rip on every other speciality. as far as i see you had nothing to add to his question. i did post this because it torques me when some self absorbed opinionated lamo is pretending they are doing something. both of you are so lame that trying to expalin anything is just pure waste of time. and pindude- i wouldn't climb with you either, hate when people can't follow what i lead. you really look like a lame ass loser.

Man, this shit just writes itself. Thanks again for saving me the trouble of pointing out your complete lack of logical thought.

I didn't have advice for Greg because I have been enjoying the good fortune of having no injuries during my stay in WA. As an aside, I have never had a chiropractor or MD lay a hand on me, and I will predict that a chiropractor never will. That said, I have nothing against MDs, and find them to be fine health practitioners, if others' experiences are any indicator. I see osteopaths almost exclusively (Osteo- from the Greek word for "bone"- Greece is a country in SE Europe- see where this is taking you?). Many treatments of OMT (which I'm sure you're familiar with, Bob, as well as humbled by) have rehabilitated my skeletal injuries, saving me from surgeries, medications, limps, breathing difficulties, sinus problems, orthodontia-related ailments, et al (that's Latin for "and others" - you know SOME Latin, right, Bob?). I recommend them over MDs as general practitioners; problem is, there just aren't as many of them.

"i did post this because it torques me when some self absorbed opinionated lamo is pretending they are doing something."

Just had to repeat it, it's so damn funny to hear it from you (I never thought we'd agree on something).