Chalk is bunk!

Mer

wait...disregard my last response. i was distracted.

your dusk mask should match your rope and/or spandex. i recommend a pleated dusk mask for it's slimming effect

seriously, i'm OW on this one. i sort of like the ritual part of it. that moment when you can pause and think before the next moves.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often wondered if we are going to see an nasty increase in some sort of lung disease amongst indoor climbers, and particularly amongst gym employees.

Particles can be inert and still cause lung problems. I think this is how asbestos works it's nastiness. Any reason chalk won't do the same?

I've definitely noticed a difference on those days that I forget my chalk -- the main one being that it's not there when I reach for it. It's called white courage for a reason! I don't have anything against chalking up for an aid pitch.

It would be nice if people would brush on the way down what they chalk on the way up, but it's not a perfect world.

I have often wondered if we are going to see an nasty increase in some sort of lung disease amongst indoor climbers, and particularly amongst gym employees.

Particles can be inert and still cause lung problems. I think this is how asbestos works it's nastiness. Any reason chalk won't do the same?

its the shape of asbestos particle that does the damage. chalk does not have the same problem AFAIK.

however....viruses like chalk. viruses stick to chalk. breathing chalk-dusted air is like breathing in the spittle of everyone else in the gym. touching a chalked up hold and then touching it to a mucous membrane (rub your eye, pick your nose etc) is a quick transmission o virus to your body.

wash hands alot whengym climbing. avoid touching bloodied chalk spots. dont share chalkbags.

in this photo gym workers unload fresh chalk shipment from the truck for an upcoming comp

hazmat.jpg

however....viruses like chalk. viruses stick to chalk. breathing chalk-dusted air is like breathing in the spittle of everyone else in the gym. touching a chalked up hold and then touching it to a mucous membrane (rub your eye, pick your nose etc) is a quick transmission o virus to your body.

Although I believe Dru is FOS grin.gif, let me relate a little story to you. We used to be one of those awfully annoying couples who bring their toddler to the gym with them. Every time we brought her to the gym, she would come down with a cold within two days. We thought it was probably a coincidence, cause heck we were bringing her to daycare all those days too probably. Anyway, after about five times, we decided we try one more time. She went with us. She got sick. We quit bringing her to the gym.

Still think the dust in there is from the gravel though.

I thought it was pretty funny when my partner chalked up climbing slab last weekend. Totally psychological. yelrotflmao.gif

I get sick from the gym dust, too. After a couple hours in Stone Gardens, I blow my nose and the tissue is black... and that's just the stuff that stuck to my mucous membranes. I betcha the lungs of today's gym rats will look like pack-a-day smokers' in 30 years.

If you don't like breathing dust in the gym, just go to Cascade Crags. They have replaced the gravel with ondoor/outdoor carpet over resiliant foam. The foam is not as safe for landing as gravel, so they have provided thick, cushy crash pads for bouldering and leading. They keep the carpet well vaccumed. The air is much nicer to breath there. I like it. thumbs_up.gif

Riiiiight. I'm not going all the way to Everett just so I can breath [sic] cleaner air for 2 hours and break my ankle on their foam pads.

This thread reminds me of why the UW rock is the best training ground around: well-ventilated, cheap, challenging, and always open. And the rain washes off the chalk!

Quote "titanium spoon is useless".

I think chalk is useless. It gums up my gloves and freezez like a sob when wetted. The titanium spoon however is the tool to have. It is in the left hand when i have that desperate move on a grade 5 route. You can also string through the tie in hole and bury it as pro!! AHHHHHH So light, SOOO Strong!! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif