Announcing Bushwhacker Climbing Club

dkemp

Announcing the creation of a new climbing club in the region. The Bushwhacker Climbing Club has been formally incorporated as a non-profit, to foster the Bushwhacker community.

Bushwhacker Climbing Club Mission:

To foster and educate an outdoors community that safely and conscientiously enjoys wilderness adventures.

Initiated by yours truly, I invited six of my friends to be Board of Directors. We have achieved obtaining certificate of incorporation and adopted bylaws. The Board created a Curriculum committee that is developing a basic glacier climbing course to be held in May and June. We plan to have other courses also but we'll start with the basic glacier course. We'll have club climbs and other outings also, but no square dancing Geek_em8.gif

We had a KickOff Party last week, and 41 people signed on to the club that night - awesome! And we have 5 applications for the class so far.

A new website will be forthcoming, but for now more information can be found at the old Bushwhacker Newsletter site .

We might not be the fastest climbers, or the baddest, but we do have fun! laugh.gif

I'll keep y'all posted as things develop.

Doxey Kemp

El Presidente'

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice restaurant reviews! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Though you don't really have any negative ones... more slander and you'd have an excellent online climbers' resource there.

did you read the Dutch Cup review? I wish I had read that BEFORE I ate there cheeburga_ron.gifshocked.gif

Thanks all! We got nearly 50 members now - yeeha! Plans are being developed not only for the course but for club outings.

There's going to be 2 sections of 6 students each, for a total of 12 students, and we got 9 applications right now. Its looking like we'll fill both sections.

The course will be a lot of fun. Yeah, we'll take pictures on the outings - I'm sure they will be just as bad as the Mounties pix - maybe worse! Maybe I'll have them wear their gaitors on their head and tell 'em its the Bushwhacker way! hellno3d.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd let y'all know that the club is going well so far. Fifty-plus members, and the glacier climbing course is full!

The applications looked really great - should be terrific people and we're going to have a good ol' time. The course starts May 11 and runs through the end of June.

We havent yet acquired the club jet but when we do we're going to load everyone up and take her for a spin around Mt Rainier - we'll honk the horn and wave to the climbers on the summit - yeehaw!!

laugh.gif Doxey

Listen to this enthusiastic response to this weekends glacier course.

Climber: "I started the Mountaineer course last year but they just moved really fast. I think there was a cavalier attitude toward safety and they were flat out dangerous up there. I am glad that the new bushwhacker club took an entire day to learn how to tie figure 8's and prussiks. I was also pleased to see that the north face MET 5 jackets were mandatory (cause sitting around all day on the glacier can be cold). I look forward to next weeks topics of putting our crampons on and walking on flat snow"