Noise at Vantage

high_on_rock

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year some friends and I were at the campground. Some joker apparently (I can't say I heard a thing because I can sleep through anything) was lighting off fireworks late into the night. Some guy decides to yell him. "Hey could you please quiet down" Dude responds. "You want some more"

There was more.

Gotta say though, I expect the noise. I have camped further down the road to get away from the people.

You know, climbers have (for the most part) "always" been a noisy and obnoxious group. From the Vulgarians of the 60's to the current punks, climbing has a rich and colorful history of unrestrained howling behavior in the wildness of the open space. Although many of us would prefer our camping to be as silent as the stars, there will always be those for whom the campfire and fresh air will cause yelling.

The only creative solution I have to offer is: wear ear plugs and drink a lot before going to bed.

When the Amphitheater charges $40 or to "camp" I don't blame people for camping at the Feathers. That said it is irritating as hell, I've had a flew sleepless nights because of concert people coming back late and blowing shit off and playing stereos til sunrise.

Good call SR.

I know some "locals" that enjoy making noise just to make the yuppy "Fucking 206'ers" squirm. (making no implications about any of you folks...) I enjoy the "multi-use" nature of vantage. Shot guns, Yakima artillery, climbers,... it's for eveyoes use. Obviously there's something to respecting other people's rights, but I'm not sure silence (or even quiet) is a inalieable "right".

Creative solutions (warning: these might require YOU to do something, as oppsed to them...):

1. Ninja camping. There are tons of places to park and sleep discretely in the vantage area. Go down to the boat launch. Try near the mouth of echo basin. How about those pullouts 1/4 mile before the feathers (where they took that picture of the "wenatchee mtb club"? These aren't official spots, but that's why it's called ninja camping... it's an adventure. Just have your shit gathered early in the morning. The best way to avoid atention when ninja camping: no fire. No fire= no light = not noticed. Plus, you're reducing you impact (one drawback of n.c.) and you'll avoid the whole got-so-drunk-I-fell-in-the-fire problem.

2. Bring a case of beer and join them (remember, you're thinking creative here.) I bet you'll have a lot of fun! I've always enjoyed being able to walk up to someones camp, hand them a beer, find out what they've been climbing, and shot the shit. Hell, if they're making a bunch of nooise, they're half drunk and they'll be kick inthe pants.

3. A polite "Hey, how's it going? Can you keep it down" sometimes works on the most latenight offenders. Be straight forward, and if they're still dicks,... well, at least you were real with them. You did your part.

4. Sleep in the car. This will provide quite a bit of sound insulation, and plus, you can listen to Dr. Dean Odell on AM 560, KPQ!

5. Noisy night? Go for a hike. Being from cle elum and all you might not think it's that spectacular (you've seen it before...), but i know there are a lot of coasties out there that haven't taken the time to explore the mesa between middle east and sunshine wall, let alone the sand dunes, the river, the little lakes tucked behind Fug's wall, the plunge pool, the diomite pits.. the list goes on. And plus, you'll get back all tired, they'll be passed out, and everyone will have a good night's slepp and no feelings will be hurt.

I think the thing to keep in mind (as I hinted at above) is some people don't think "quiet" is one of the basic rights, so don't assume they're offending you. They just have a differnt slant on things and it's down right arrogant to assume your way is the right way. Fuck, its vantage! Wild partiers have been at vantage a lot longer than the climbers!

bigdrink.gif

There is a very easy way to decrease the duration this kind of behavior. Simply provide a pony keg and plastic pitchers. As you pour each pitcher, add a healthy dollop of 151. cantfocus.gif We use to do this at highschool keggars. It was a trip to pick out specific groups to intoxicate and keep others as control groups. Most people will not notice the taste. They'll be toasted by 1AM. tongue.gif And, as the benevolent host, you will be popular in the morning. bigdrink.gif

As a side note, the last one standing and not puking, gets a broader selection of potential friendlies. smileysex5.gifyellaf.gif

Max, does it ever get old for you acting like a 15 year old...or is that how old you are ? Actually on second thought, maybe you are right. Maybe we should get rid of laws against rape and murder too. After all rapists and murderers only do that shit because of how they were treated by society, right. It's really our fault, we shouldn't judge them. Maybe we should grab a gun or a condom and join them ?!! After all it would be arrogant to assume our way is the right way and they are wrong. There are things WE could do right ? Instead of locking them up !! We could stay in our homes forever and ever....and keep our women in chastity belts ! I think I'm catching on to your point Max....Ninja Living.

Max,I bet by now you're thinking , 'but catman, being loud ain't at all the same as rape or murder' .....and I'm thinking congratulations Max you're finally getting something right ! The point is it's all anti-social behavior. You see us humans (being social creatures and all) have a way of trying to get along when we form our little herds.

So, when a bunch of folks are hanging out at a campsite doing their own thing and getting along, and some white trash parade shows up hootin and hollerin, blasting their quiet riot (I'm not talkin about dirt bag climbers throwin a few back...got no problem with them), THEY are the ones with the problem, NOT the rest of the folks getting along with each other. It's not that anyone has a right to silence anymore than anyone has a right to be loud....it's just a matter of getting along !! Of course if you show up on a concert weekend, you get what you deserve....thats is the social norm to be loud on those nights.

By the way, I was out there 3 weekends ago and met a local climber type who was telling me the local police have responded to a few calls out there lately with loud guys actually calling the cops because other campers there were throwin that lovely sharp Vantage rock at them and mussin up the lovely paint jobs on their 68 GTO's !! Yah baby...power of the people !!! Rise up and unite !!! Maybe that's the answer to shut people up, think of it only a few victims would be needed and just the word of mouth would keep the trash out....wish I had thought of that. So, Max if you're not ready to get rid of your Poison tapes and get along, you should at least make sure you've got a good comprehensive policy on your veyuckle.

Man, I was havin a bad day, but now I'm all warm and fuzzy inside...thanks Max.