They be plowing the road now everyday.....

Stefan

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

elevations are all relative. People talk about climbing @ 11 and 12 thousand and higher all the time in Colorado, but Denver (out on a flat plain) is 5,300 feet, and Seattle, Vancouver, and PDX are @ 0 feet elev. All I'm saying is that a "Washington Pass" in colorado would be roughly @ 11,000 feet or so.

Still not quite a fair comparison. Denver is 5k yeah, but the rockies really rise out a higher plateau than that. The cascades are about a 7k range, relief wise, the rockies are more like 3k to 4k, and the relief is over much longer distances.

Anyway, 5500 for washington is high, there should be more snow than that.

I do think it is true that Washington Pass never receives the snowpack of, say, Stevens Pass or Cascade Pass, but I think Josh is suggesting that there is less snow there than an average year. Although the DOT guy reported that it was an unusually low snow year, he went on to talk primarily about the snow deapth in the avalanche deposition zones as opposed to the total snowpack on Washington Pass. It may in fact be the case that the unusual thing is that we never really had huge midwinter avalanche cycles this year.

It looks to me as if we may be on target for an "average" or slightly early opening date, but nothing extraordinary. The historical closure section of the WSDOT page shows openings as early a late march, and as late as May, but mid April appears most common.

Sabretooth- just because the road is plowed up to the hairpin does not mean you can drive up there. The gate on the highway is still locked at Silver Star until the whole highway is cleared. If you're desperate to get up there before everyone else, you can park at the Silver Star gate and bike up to the hairpin.

• 2 weeks later...

As of yesterday, the road is open and in good condition (at least for now). Some construction was going on in places, but no delays. Lots of signs of the big fall rains--logs stuck strangely high in trees and evidence of other large rockfall (away from the road) between Newhalem and Ross Lake. Big white scars and clean new talus. Only 5 feet of snow along the road in the deepest places.