Belay Devices?

scrambled_legs

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dropped my ATC and need to replace it. I have only owned an ATC and a figure 8 and have no complaints with either. I was just wondering if there was anything out there more versatile than an ATC that I should consider. I'd be using it for cragging, alpine and ice. Any Suggestions?

dmm bug.

I've always liked the stitch plate because of is durability and longevity over the atc (which has the thinner body), but they don't lock off so well.

The Wild Country ADR has the advantages of both:

thick body of the plate, and tubed up side for ATC-like lockoff. Works great, even on the nines.

It's solid. thumbs_up.gif

Never used the Reverso, but I am sure I will be converted when I do... tongue.gif

I've been very pleased with my BD ATC-XP.Excellent belay device,very smooth for rappelling,and handles skinny ropes for alpine and ice just great.I still have my old Sticht plates,Trango Tube,figure 8,and an HB Sherriff,too.The XP seems to do everything all the rest of these do,and the Sticht plate is the only thing that compares to it for rappelling.

wave.gif

The SBG is a piece of shit. Don't waste your time.

The stem on the SBG is too short, causing way too much friction on the rope.

However, I wouldn't sleep well if I didn't put in a plug for my favorite device,the Trango Jaws.

Just like the ATC, with the option of additional friction if you're using skinny ropes.

Edited by Squid

I have a Trango Jaws if anyone wants one....I'll trade it for a beer.

It gives the jerkiest rappels and lowers I've ever seen. I end up turning it around and belaying off the 'non jaws' side.

It's heavier and bulkier than an ATC, so why bother?

(granted, I've not used it on anything smaller than a 10.2)

I have a Trango Jaws if anyone wants one....I'll trade it for a beer.

It gives the jerkiest rappels and lowers I've ever seen. I end up turning it around and belaying off the 'non jaws' side.

It's heavier and bulkier than an ATC, so why bother?

(granted, I've not used it on anything smaller than a 10.2)

I had a friend whoi had ine of those and i tried it a few times and I have to agree, I thought I heard something about one modle beinf recalled or something cantfocus.gif don't listen to me my memory sucks

I thought I heard something about one modle beinf recalled or something cantfocus.gif don't listen to me my memory sucks

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif Yeah, when the modle beinf, you know it's time to get a new belay device!

I do hear a lot of people trash the Jaws, which baffles me. It's exactly the same as the ATC, unless you use the teeth, in which case it's similar to the ATC-XP.

Whatever.

If anyone else wants to unload those lousy Jaws, drop me a line; I use 'em for teaching newbie friends how to belay.

figure 8's and SBGs, with a rigid metal "keeper loop", can cross load the biner gate and break it under certain circumstances. 2 ppl have died in britain from failures of the belay when a fig-8 used in "sport" mode crossloaded the gate of their belay biner and broke the biner. not aware of any such failures with the SBG but given the rigid loop it seems possible to me. thumbs_down.gif

Why do so many people like the Reverso so much? It turns into a razor blade in six months and gives a shitty lead belay. In most situations, climbing in a party of three blows, so you don't need the two at a time deal often. I tried two in one year and decided they suck.thumbs_down.gif

I use the HB Sheriff. No cable to jam it up and a smooth feed on lead belays. I add a second HMS when rapping with a pack (or terrified hellno3d.gif) to increase friction.

bigdrink.gif