climbing with my spouse/date/ SO is:

minx

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what kind of climing/trip it is.

But most of the time it is CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!

My wife out in the woods for days with marginal food and water. geting ate alive by bugs, blistered feet and cut hands, and 3rd degree sunburnt shoulders. Yeah right!

Honestly if we go with other people she tuffs it out. But if its just her and I, I feel like wraping her in duct tape and putting her in the trunk on the ride back to town.

Climbing w/ a SO always has an additional level of stress, I don't care what anyone says. I think the most important thing, tho' is for the SO to make climbing (or whatever activity) 'their' thing, with their own set of goals, rather than simply something they do with you. By being able to separate a little bit, it helps to defray some of the 'whatdayawantado-Idunnowhatdayawantado' exchange that invariably causes strife (in my experience). A past g/f climbed partly because of me, and we'd get into knock-down-drag-outs both at home and at the crag regarding climbing. The current g/f is quite a bit more low-key, and even if her penultimate goal may be to do a 5.10, or whatever, it's her goal, so we can mix and match our goals throughout the day or weekend, so she's not just belay bettie, and I'm not just ropegun. We found bouldering together works well, too, especially where there is a good mix of ratings so we can pick and choose and support each other in our pursuits....

If I were seeing someone who wanted to go climbing just to be with me and wasn't interested in actually climbing, I'd have to say that was a serious warning sign for two reasons:

1) Too clingy/needy. I'm not the kind of dirtbag that's out climbing every available hour of the day. If they can't be comfortable with not being with me while I go do my thing, they're going climbing with me for the wrong reasons.

2) Insincerity. They're clearly not actually interested in my interests. If they're going to go climbing with me, I want them to actually give it a try, not just show up just to be there. That's way too highschool.

I see badvoodoo's points. I go one further and don't look to a SO to be a climbing partner. I have plenty of other partners for the objectives I want to hit. If they want to climb sometime, great, I'm all for it and I'll make the time. But, I'll keep rolling on with my list of objectives in the meantime.

BV,

Agreed - the previously mentioned ex would run every day, then convince me that I was the one obsessed because I wanted to go pull plastic and get out on the weekends w/ my other climbing partners. I don't need someone jealous of my partners or draggin on my psyche while I'm out - I've got enough to fight in my head. On a more positive example, the current model has gone out w/ other folks when I was out of town or our weekends didn't mesh, so this is her thing. It doen't mean some days won't be a b), or even a c), but it makes for better days over all.

and pointing and laughing w/ the rest of your buddies prolly isn't a good idea either! yelrotflmao.gif

Its amazing how much abuse you can flip the way of your buds the would land you on the couch for a month if the target was your wife!!!

depends on the girl. I know I am a clutz grin.gif

If you happen to be female, there is another issue here. Too often boyfriend equals ropegun. It’s too easy to start thinking “oh, if he can’t lead it , I sure won’t be able to.” And there are not many guys who are willing to say “it scares the hell out of me, I might get hurt, why don’t you lead this one sweety-princess?” I got enough issues with the sharp end already, I don’t need these extra ones.

mer- that's true enough. that dynamic seems to happen a lot. i wasn't really thinking of that in particular. i was watching a couple interact this w/e. it was interesting and got me to thinking about this topic.

i think a lot of that boyfriend = ropegun dynamic forms if the girl starts climbing b/c her boyfriend climbs. if she's climbing for her own reasons then i think she'll insist on leading if she wants to. most likely, she'll push herself on to progressively harder leads.

its hard enough some days to keep my head about me, i don't want issues with my boyfriend about who is leading what. hopefully that's would be worked out a little bit before the rope comes out.

mostly A, but I always feel bad having her belay on some project for like 20mins.
bon't feel bad, you have a cute ass wink.gif

I have a great view when my bf is on lead-no complaints here. I would say that my answer would mostly be A, but I am a novice climber and his ability is MUCH higher than mine. So I get frustrated when I feel like I am holding him back and then the answer is B. Good thing is, I am learning so much and Im lucky that he's patient.