BMI!?!?!?

I calculated my BMI and as usual I am in the overweight zone. I would have to loose a bit over 10lbs just to make it into the very top of the healthy zone. My physique is unfortunately pretty darn unremarkable. I may not be very fit but I am sure I could handle a two day prussick trip pretty easily.

So – is the BMI a scare tactic or does the average Amercian have no muscle thus throwing off the averages or should I try to loose weight? Has anyone else calculated their BMI and thought the results goofy?

PP bigdrink.gif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Obese!!! (31.5) Running, lifting and all the other fun just isn't paying off. I wonder how many other obese people can move and climb like I do.

The only person I know who has ever rated "Helathy" is a friend who is 6' 8" and weighs 220. Even then, he just barely makes it in.

I have a friend who works with the Department of Health. I have asked her about the BMI and she told me that on a single use basis without proper interpretation alongside other factors like bodyfat percentage, it is almost useless.

Peter:

I think being within 10lbs of "healthy" is not bad. If you are really concerned about it, go get your BF level tested. I hear that the old dunk tank is still the best indicator over electrical impedance and calipers. I have no idea where you can get this done.

I think BMI is intended for the average Joe to see if he needs to lose a few pounds, not necesarily athletic types who might be carrying more dense muscle mass.

quit making excuses beefcake

Ok me and my little brother used to do this, I'll see if I can remember how it goes.

I know you are but what am I?

And finally, sticks and stones may hurt my bones but names will never hurt me. Not very much anyway... cry.gif Take it back you bastard! madgo_ron.gif

BMI is such nonsense!

there are times when i am far more fit than i am right now and have a lot more muscle but still weigh the same. given those conditions my BMI is the same either way. (21.3) i can certainly have a much different % body fat and be less fit and healthy and weight the same. it's just plain dumb!

BMI is a public health, crude first-screen type of thing. No more than that. No need to get worked up over it. Just a cue to ask yourself other questions like what's your BP, cholesterol, exercise habits, etc...

If your doctor puts you on some expensive medication because of your BMI alone, get another doctor.

I think they're trying to make the general public feel fat so they get off their asses and do something! Which is good.

Focusing on how hard you climb is better than focusing on wether you're 'fat' or not. How hard you climb, after all, is what really counts, right?