The Jim Donini Interview rocked...

RuMR

Man, he's got some sweet views on life/climbing/marriage...and he doesn't take the "golden-age" of which he was a major contributor too seriously...

basically came out and called chouinard a curmudgeon...

Edited by Peter_Puget

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Busy day at work and I get home and there's a pm asking why I didn't prune this thread. So I just did and deleted a few good posts as well.

Offwhite corrected the spelling of JD's name. I corrected the thread title.

RumR noted the article was in Rock & Ice

Peter Puget made a couple stupid posts saying that JD once let him and a friend use prototype BD cams and some of his fav JD routes in the Valley.

Specialed and CJOO1f noted that the interview was way too short and the magazine sucked. (Good info as I was thinking of subscribing to a climbing mag)

Dru & RumR traded insults and pope joined in for a jab of his own.

THis is a good time to state the obvious: Don't spray in this forum.

PP bigdrink.gif

don't be such a putz. jim's done some cool shit but now he after the 401k.

Exactly. He's going to say whatever it takes to make the little shits who read these magazines happy so that he can continue to make a living off the cesspool that our great sport has become.

there are a lot of guys his equal in accomplishments out there who are not getting the column space -

but he has a good friend who is a writer, & so always do articles about him...

I mean really. It's no different than Alli Dorey. Not that great a photog but she's Jason Kehl's gf and always taking pix of him on noteworthy stuff so they get printed where if she was sending in pictures of Joe Noname, not a chance would they get printed...

Thats the way the mags work.

In fact you can even PAY Gripped magazine to print your article, sort of like the vanity press. Pope, ya want to be in the mags? I think their rates start at $50 for a paragraph. If you send them $2500 they'll prob say you climbed 15b on natural gear.

...he has a good friend who is a writer, & so always do articles about him...

Maybe. On the other hand, Jim has a certain charisma that might better explain his celebrity status. When I was I high school punk, just getting curious about the freedom of the hills, I saw Doweewee's slide show at the local college in which he reviewed his Patagonia triumph. He was competing with an Everest guy who was the first American to climb Big E w/o O2. (F.A.C.M.E.W.O., not to be confused with Jim Whitaker: F.A.C.M.E.). Anyway, Doweewee put on a superior, highly entertaining show and subsequently had a multitude of babes seeking his autograph (I think your mom was there), while the Everest dude stood in his shadow. It's the magic of Big Jim Doweewee. I can't explain it, but I've witnessed it.

Bird isn't as big a hit with the females. And let's face it: climbing magazines is for the females. You want to sell mags, you feature some old, charming mountain climber who might potentially satisfy every little girls "Santa" fantasy.

I still want to know what exactly Rudy thought was so good about the article. Were the views expressed of unusual brilliance or did they just say what you wanted to hear?

Ok Dru...here's what appealed to me if you absolutely must know...

The guy is 60 and is still pushing himself in the mountains and climbing...he's had 3 marriages and thinks he's finally found out what works and with whom...he lost a son to drugs and this has really put things in perspective to him...and that he really doesn't want to get killed climbing, but if that's where it happens he seems to be at peace w/ it...

It struck a personal chord because my parents are in their mid 60's and i could easily see my dad having a lot of the same viewpoints as this guy does...like i said before, i've never met the guy, don't know him, but my interest was piqued enough to maybe want to meet him and have a conversation...