Predict the Hot Climbing Trends for 2004

arlen

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

drytool bouldering is sure to catch on sooner or later!

"It's highball"

wait a second, did you say there's an REI in Milwaukee? what are they selling, beer helmets? bigdrink.gif REI, the sport utility of urban "outdoors" consumerism...oh but i still shop there, got a great book 'For the Love of Skiing' last time, all about Utah and the Engen legacy in American skiing

Edited by Beck

There will be an increase in the current PNW trend. Climbers will spend countless hours surfing, lurking, or spraying on CC.com while hiding under the "show up as anonymous" feature.

There are currently 4x as many anonymous users on the site right now as people who are openly admitting to being here...Chickens all of you! cantfocus.gif

I predict 80’ thin cracks will become the rage. A sea of climbers will tear into WA and develop scores of new routes. I am talking nice granite cracks not those Vantage or Tieton types of cracks. As nice as they are they still aren’t granite!

Hey a guy can dream.

PP bigdrink.gif

grin.gif

Maybe I would learn to climb 'em w/o thrashing! Hey Peter were you at VW Seattle on Sunday? Or is that another Peter I always see there?

Hey Jim. The trick to becomming a better crack climber is to climb more cracks. If you're not ready for the Index steepness, spend a couple weeks at a lower angle place like Yosemite. Squamish is okay place to hone technique, the cracks tend to be a little flaring with cheater sections... Stay out of the bluffs and climb at the chief or on the really low angle cracks on the apron.

Hey Jim. The trick to becomming a better crack climber is to climb more cracks. If you're not ready for the Index steepness, spend a couple weeks at a lower angle place like Yosemite. Squamish is okay place to hone technique, the cracks tend to be a little flaring with cheater sections... Stay out of the bluffs and climb at the chief or on the really low angle cracks on the apron.

I'm eternally optimistic! Thanks for the advice.

Advances in gear technology and application will push our great sport into new realms.

Ice: Handle-less ascents. Just picks in your hands. Crampons optional.

Alpine: Super-light sandals, with integral crampons.

Rock: Down-aiding popular trad routes.

Pseudo-climbing: Skipping bolts, and pad-less low balls.

Nutrition: Overcoming the need for food and water. Think of the weight savings!