if you are an accident waiting to happen (ABS)

lummox

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Been spending so many late nights studying that I'm really starting to lose it from sleep deprivation; just had a dream that I was all awake and staring at a page on the cc.com site, and saw this incredibly weird science fiction gizmo that looked like... wah the faw kizzat?

I think it's something like a third of all avvy deaths are attributable to trauma... like getting crushed between logs or cracked open on rocks. No doubt if I go down in an avvy I'd want one of these, a beacon AND an avalung, but minimizing avvy exposure in the first place probably goes a long ways.

I think the idea is more to increase the victim's buoyancy in an avalanche to keep them closer to the surface than for the device to function as an airbag like in cars. If you are at the surface, the odds of being alive at the end of the day are much, much better. There are also similar devices which are a self-inflating ball on a length of cord. The idea there being that the 'ball' will stay at the surface and the cord will lead rescuers to the victim more quickly than a standard transceiver search.