Participate in Climbing Research

docerikclimbs

Hello all,

I am an emergency medicine physician in Illinois. I am doing a research survey on climbing safety and injuries. Please take a few minutes to fill out my survey- click on the link below. It is anonymous and will take just a few minutes.

Thanks for contributing to this study- hopefully the information gathered will prove to be useful for health care providers and climbers.

Thanks ,

Erik Gerdes, MD and climber

Member: AAC, Access Fund

Click Here for Survey

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AlpineK said:

You guys are wimps. I can easily think of 3 injuries I've had that qualify without a doubt. wazzup.gif

Whatever, dude. The guy needs to define what he considers an injury better. Every climber gets his hands/knees chewed up with minor cuts and I'm trying figure out if he cares about that crap or not. I don't... but he might.

griz said:

AlpineK said:

You guys are wimps. I can easily think of 3 injuries I've had that qualify without a doubt. wazzup.gif

Whatever, dude. The guy needs to define what he considers an injury better. Every climber gets his hands/knees chewed up with minor cuts and I'm trying figure out if he cares about that crap or not. I don't... but he might.

What I'm trying to say is if you actually had an injury you would know it without a doubt. wave.gif

Griz - probably only interested in injuries that require (should require if you didn't seek it) medical attention.

Agree with Layton on which "health care providers" the data is intended for. I'm skeptical of anything that can further classify climbing as high risk and create a reason to deny coverage or treatment.

DocErik - Please define the objective of your study (intended use of the data) for us.

Edited by ehmmic

Hey Ehmic, those are good questions for the doc.

I took the survey and I really have no idea how any information gleaned from this thing could have any possible clinical use, except for maybe putting someone in detox the minute they say they've had a climbing injury tongue.gifbigdrink.gif.

It may not be all "sinister health care providers wanting to find out who to exclude". Something tells me this sort of group would not bother posting to cc.com. Could very likely be a doctor who wants to get published but doesn't realize that you actually need to do a well-done study with actual relevance to get published anywhere worthwhile.

I doubt it's really insurance related because those people would want real information with valid conclusions, not some USA Today poll from this nutty website. Insurance companies want to make money. They don't want to deny people the ability to give them money unless they really are sure that those people are high risk. Thus, I doubt an insurance company would be trying to unfairly smear climbers.

If we're talking unfairly smearing people, it could be a lawyer involved in a trial trying to deny benfits to a climber I guess.

Well, I guess any publicity is good publicity.

I will now attempt to answer your questions:

First of all, I have no affiliation with any insurance companies, lawyers, or other "shady characters". Granted, I have no way to prove this...but again, the survey is anonymous and COMPLETEY VOLUNTARY.

Reason for this study: As an emergency department physician, I see many injuries from many different sports. Just tonight I treated patients for rollerblading wrist injuries, basketball ankle injuries, and even a cheerleading back-flip injury. Following this, I am interested in injury prevention.

I have read many articles in emergency medicine journals and sports medicine journals characterizing injury patterns in a number of different sports- ranging from baseball to whitewater kayaking. Some of these articles helped to serve as a model in designing this survey.

I am also a climber. Combining these two interests seemed logical to me.

What constitutes an injury? When designing this survey, I struggled with this. I could not create a multiple choice list with every possible injury know to man. By allowing people to freetext, I can examine and classify the data. I guess I can say, if you remember it years later...it must be significant to you.

I am not trying to imply that there is a correlation between substance abuse and climbing injuries. Nor am I implying that there is a correlation between climbing injuries and soloing or helmet use. These are saftely issues that are of interest to me.

I hope this helps...thanks...docerik

And again...please post or email me with any questions: docerikclimbs@yahoo.com