Time to move on brothers...

Peter_Puget

trask said:

...learn to think in one short paragraph or less.

You can do it !!! wave.gif

These comments remind me of a part in Manufacturing Consent, a Noam Chomsky documentary: Noam was being interviewed by a TV news chat show host on his latest book or whatever. Noam was talking about how TV reporting, with its emphasis on short sound bites, has forced the oversimplification of complex issues being discussed by society, to the detriment of our problem solving capacity. In the middle of Noam's discussion, the host interrupts and asks Noam to sum up his point in 1-2 sentenances as they are running out of time. Irony.

Anyway, I was reminded of this exchange by these ridiculous assertions that complex issues should be summarized in 1 paragraph. It seems to me this is an endemic problem in western political society.

Simplified discussion of complex issues leads to simplified solutions which likely don't resolve anything, but make us feel better for having discussed and solved them.

Spray on. wave.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stinky,

my point was why anyone wants to read a fucking interview at cc.com. but then I spew more useless bullshit than anyone else here, so I guess if you fucks wanna read pages of news and have your debate club that's fine by me. I'm stayin out of it from now on. And Erik, you make like your bullshit is so deep and important. Fuck you you're no better'n anyone else, you hershy squirt beyotch. boxing_smiley.gif

i like the finger pointing..........

it serves nothing.

solves nothing.

and is nothing.

it aint about repub/demo it is about professional money grubber and power whore vs. the actual people of the country.

repubs mostly and demos quite often forget that they are the same thing. evil scum sucking pieces of shit. the nice thing about demo's is that they are less likely to attempt to create war.

erik said:

i like the finger pointing..........

it serves nothing.

solves nothing.

and is nothing.

it aint about repub/demo it is about professional money grubber and power whore vs. the actual people of the country.

repubs mostly and demos quite often forget that they are the same thing. evil scum sucking pieces of shit. the nice thing about demo's is that they are less likely to attempt to create war.

If any of you care, the time to get involved is now, before the Presidential Primary Election. Otherwise you'll have little choice later on.

erik said:

ahh more non-repsonses from veggie and trask. you guys ever add to the discussion or just take away from it?? this seems like pretty typical right wing behavior...attempt to filabuster something that does not support your belief system.

Your should read the essay, "Juknk Politics: A voter's guide to the post-literate election" by Benjamin DeMott, in the current issue of Harpers. Discusses exactly this tactic: simplification and filibuster (by all sides in the US political system). [sorry - no link...they don't post their articles...gotta buy the real thing]