The Absolute Best!

Distel32

In response to the good doctors thread, this is where you list the best routes or problems you've DONE. Did it have the coolest move ever? Was it a year long project? Is the only reason you like it because you onsighted it?

Fav problems:

Joe's valley: Moby Dick, Pocket Rocket, Warm me Up Scotty

Squampton: Anubis, Arrow Trav., Viper, Squamish Lie-Back yellaf.gif

Bishop: Some V1 at the buttermilks (sort of high), and a little V2 at the happies that had really cool holds

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fear and Loathing at Red Rocks - so steep, so fun, so many buckets! Pure jug-hauling enjoyment right there.

Chain Reaction - does this one need to be explained? No.

Kill the Hate - The 2nd coolest route at Smith, and DFA's first .13a (aww, sentimental value!) Tons of killer moves, though, and stellar position, not to mention it's all natural, too! thumbs_up.gif

How 'bout Outer Space for trad things. Too much good climbing with great position on killer rock with bomber gear, oh yeah!

Boulder-wise, Scary Monsters at Joe's Valley stands out. Gotta love those full-value topouts! Ooh, and Frosted Flakes was fuggin' killer, too. Wicked cool slash/crack features, and another highish topout. There's probably more, but who can remember?

My favorite rock climbing experience so far has been Snake Dike on Half Dome. The climbing was techinically easy, but topping out on Half-Dome was so cool. The 15 miles of hiking required to do the climb was not so sweet, though.

I love bouldering and am most familiar with Leavenworth. I like just going to an area like the Star Wars boulders and doing a bunch of problems and making a day of it. I think my favorite one there is that V2 slab with the crappy landing. I remember looking back at the briar patch landing and my spotter staring off into space probably day dreaming of what he was planning on eating for dinner that night. I knew my only option was to send on-sight and I did!

What up Distel?!wave.gif

In my book, Outer Space is overrated. The last 2 1/2 pitches are great but the fist two are garbage, the crux pitch is in my view only OK, and that next one is certainly nothing to write home about. Overall it is a good though not great climb.

I'd give Midway, Dreamer, DavisHolland/Lovin Arms all higher ratings than the "megaclassic" Outer Space.

mattp said:

In my book, Outer Space is overrated. The last 2 1/2 pitches are great but the fist two are garbage, the crux pitch is in my view only OK, and that next one is certainly nothing to write home about. Overall it is a good though not great climb.

I'd give Midway, Dreamer, DavisHolland/Lovin Arms all higher ratings than the "megaclassic" Outer Space.

the first pitch is the crux pitch in my book. and its got the traverse, dihedral and two pitches of killer crack with a chickenhead top out. lil' of everything. but yeah... the first 150 feet or so is crap, but also soloable at 5.5 if that?

there is me and dan in the rain bigdrink.gif0danonouterspace-2.jpg

RuMR said:

DFA...for the aggro gulley nomination what about good ol' AggroMonkey? Hard to beat that one for fun...

Full Heinous has it way over chain for a dihedrals route nomination... wink.gif

Ain't never been on the Aggro Monkey, so it's hard to say. confused.gif

And Full Heinous? You can keep your 60-foot, eat-a-Clif-Bar-and-drink-a-quart-of-water-in-the-air whippers, hoss. Not to mention fuck you, nothing beats Chain Reaction. It is the coolest rock climb on the damn planet, ya hear?

boxing_smiley.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

RuMR said:

DFA...for the aggro gulley nomination what about good ol' AggroMonkey? Hard to beat that one for fun...

Full Heinous has it way over chain for a dihedrals route nomination... wink.gif

Ain't never been on the Aggro Monkey, so it's hard to say. confused.gif

And Full Heinous? You can keep your 60-foot, eat-a-Clif-Bar-and-drink-a-quart-of-water-in-the-air whippers, hoss. Not to mention fuck you, nothing beats Chain Reaction. It is the coolest rock climb on the damn planet, ya hear?

boxing_smiley.gif

ummm...chain reaction isn't a route!!?!?! its a v4 or v5 w/ a 10ft 5.8 approach! evils3d.gifboxing_smiley.gifrolleyes.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

best boulder problem - unnamed "P6" (like V2) in Queen Creek. pocket dynos!

best alpine route (easy rock) - still holding in at W butt of Old Settler S peak OR Brewer Buttress on castle

best alpine route (hard rock) - Proof is in the Pudding on Ibex. super clean and sustained for the SWBC alpine.

best cragging type rock route - Rainbow Buttress red rox or Drag the Magic puffin, Chek Canyon

best snow and ice alpine route - Mt Cook New Zealand or Paymaster

best waterfall ice route - Gibraltar Wall

i think thats it. no aid routes, they all suck. boxing_smiley.gif

My opinions are not fixed and may change tomorrow or next week. On some of these the quality ofthe climb may have been enhanced by other factors another party might not encounter mushsmile.gifthumbs_up.gif

mattp said:

In my book, Outer Space is overrated. The last 2 1/2 pitches are great but the fist two are garbage,

The RPM start replaces two boring pitches with one easy boring one and one outstanding one.

Though it's not an original thing to say, I really enjoyed the complete N Ridge of Stuart. Matt may bag on the lower part ("blows goats" or something like that moon.gif) but I thought it really added to the experience. Long expanses of continually clean and perfect granite. Some harder most of it easier. Climbing the feature from the bottom to the top also holds some aethetic appeal. The three short Gendarme pitches would be multi-star multi-pitch at a crag on the ground. Sometimes there's a good reason that things get named "Classic". thumbs_up.gif

Yeah, "blows goats" is what I say. Well not really. Some of the climbing on that route is really quite steller but, as with Outer Space, I'd give it an overall rating of "good" but not "fantastic." I say this because there is a lot of scrambling and monkeying around that is NOT classic, the summit is only moderately cool, and the approach and descent are definitely NOT classic. For clean, moderate granite in an alpine setting, go to the Bugaboos. I'd say the standard routes on Snowpatch and Pidgeon Spire far surpass the N. Ridge of Stuart in terms of overall quality (though they are much smaller climbs) and for for a bigger route that is roughly comparable to the full North Ridge of Stuart, the Beckey Chouinard on S. Howser was way cooler.

I have to say McTech Arete on Crescent Spire in the Bugs.

The 6 pitches are rated:

5.9, 5.10a, 5.5, 5.8, 5.7, 5.6.

Long clean cracks. For example, the 5.8 pitch goes through two small roofs, with sustained hand jamming for 50 feet in between.

Chain Reaction is way overrated and so is the full Heinous. The best climb at Smith by far is 10 gallon buckets. You just can't beat the positioning looking down on a sea of climbers to your right and the positive holds worn slick by gobs of mazama classes and fat first-timers in tennis shoes.

I would have to say my true fav is the steck-salathe down in Yosemite. Every pitch is full of wholesome wide cracks.

Alpine I would have to say my fav is the south face of Prussik.