Worst tech

CraigA

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Armageddon has to have the most bad science in it. Flammable liquid oxygen dripping from pipes and pooling up within the space station, flying the space shuttle like an airplane, in space, and driving tricked out SUVs in the mircogravity of a meteor. Plus, a healthy dose of BMW ads, and "God Bless America" partiotism. :hurl:

slothrop said:

Oh yeah, NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, so it's NOT FUNNY TO ANYONE BUT YOU.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Dude, who knew it would stress you out so much! "Tech" is the point in live perfomance in between when the set gets assembled in the theatre and the show opens. You know, the part where the actors rehearse on stage. Jason M. knows.

Anyway, I said "bolt gun." So there. tongue.gif

Yeah, must be the stress of not climbing enough. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

I know what tech is, having been an actor since high school. I didn't think the cc.com/theatre crossover was very high, though, and your comment was like an inside joke -- infuriating and pointless to those who aren't "in". Geek_em8.gif See PM.

On topic: I can't decide whether sprinting at twenty-odd-thousand feet or the flying dyno with ice tools is the most outrageous part of Vertical Limit.

Remember A Breed Apart? Powers Booth plays a famous mountain climber (evidence: he rappels down 15 foot slabs for the TV news) who solos a buttress, apparently in order to string his rope in op-art patterns, along the way to a rare eagle nest--which Rutger Hauer visits every day by walking up the trail.

Ok- my favorite vertical limit f-ups:

Whenever the characters need to talk to each other up on the mountain they have to take off their glacier glasses. Guess you can't communicate if you can't see the whites of their eyes.

Everybody has pickets on their pack, but no one uses them. Every belay is off of a single axe that always manages to come out..

This movie is almost as good as Carnosaur..

From the movie K2, with Michael Bien ("Kyle" from the first Terminator, and the only Marine who survives along with Sigourney in "Aliens"): The part at the end (when the director ran out of money and needed to end the film quickly) when the Huey plucks them from the mountain at, oh, say, 17k feet. shocked.gif

Same movie, when Bien and his wimpy buddy anchor the tent of a competing party (who decided to pitch it in an avy chute) vying for the same route with a snow stake. When the avy hits, the clowns in the tent are "saved" cuz our hero lashed them to the face with that stake. BOMBER! cantfocus.gif

There are soooo many things that are just plain wrong in "Vertical Limit." Am I the only one to notice that every time Chris O'Donnell talks to his sister he looks like he's about to make out with her? I mean the list of things is endless...

There is an urban legend about that movie and Boulder, Colorado. One census indicates that one out of five people there considers themself a climber. Great for bar room companionship, but not so great when your out at the crag.

Anyway, the story was that a Hollywood exec that was somehow behind the film heard that the movie was selling out every night in Boulder. He goes out there to see what the deal is, thinking that this outdoorsy town must love the movie. But what he finds is quite different. Instead, he discovers something more along the lines of a "Rocky Horror Picture Show" type audience. They laugh and throw popcorn at the screen through the entire movie. The exec is shocked by how much people are laughing at the dialogue. The story goes that he then has the movie pulled from the theatres in Boulder.

I don't think this is true, but it sure makes a good story.

Jason

There are soooo many things that are just plain wrong in "Vertical Limit." Am I the only one to notice that every time Chris O'Donnell talks to his sister he looks like he's about to make out with her? I mean the list of things is endless...

There is an urban legend about that movie and Boulder, Colorado. One census indicates that one out of five people there considers themself a climber. Great for bar room companionship, but not so great when your out at the crag.

Anyway, the story was that a Hollywood exec that was somehow behind the film heard that the movie was selling out every night in Boulder. He goes out there to see what the deal is, thinking that this outdoorsy town must love the movie. But what he finds is quite different. Instead, he discovers something more along the lines of a "Rocky Horror Picture Show" type audience. They laugh and throw popcorn at the screen through the entire movie. The exec is shocked by how much people are laughing at the dialogue. The story goes that he then has the movie pulled from the theatres in Boulder.

Jason, I lived in Boulder for 5 years, and I was in theaters where that sort of thing would actually happen.

It was pretty crazy. And hilarious.

(there used to be a theater downtown that played "Stop Making Sense" every Saturday at midnight, The audience would get totally out of control. Booze, weed, beers. It was fucking awesome)

Jason_Martin said:

Jason

Me and a bunch of buds from the Tri-Cities that climb went to VL after seeing all the bullshit in the trailers. We got good and drunk before the show and all doodied up in our climbing gear. Ya know, helmets, harnesses, racks, boots, etc. Some clown didn't want to let us in until the manager came over (whom I know) and let us in (but we had to leave our ice tools and axes with her during the show).

We sure had a whoopin' good time flaming every "climbing" scene, but I think that a few peeps thought we were real assholes. We sure thought it was funny, tho. yelrotflmao.gif