OK...Let's hear

RuMR

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is anything wrong with fear of death. Some people are afraid of heights or afraid of snakes. I think these fears are healthy compared to fear of losing your job or fear of breaking up with your partner. I don't think most people would climb if there wasn't a high element of danger to it. These are just my opinions, of course, and everything has its limits. I do think you can use fear as a positive tool for survival, as long at it is rational. fruit.gif

Getting over the nearly incapacitating and completely irrational fear of falling and learning to actually focus on the climbing instead. Although the fear still grips occasionally these days, it can usually be shaken off in short order. Years of stagnation came to an end in short order after clearing this retarded mental hurdle.

Second to that breakthrough was endurance training. Fuckin' A, if you can just hang on for a little longer, you'll get them anchors, by gumbo.

And good strategy! Woefully underused and underappreciated is the art of systematically sussing moves and comitting them to memory, finding and remembering subtle beta, giving yourself cues, and rehearsing the whole route (clips, rests, chalking, and clipping the anchors) in your head as many times as necessary. When it all flows perfectly in your head, there's a good chance it'll all flow on the rock when it counts. Plus standing around miming moves and muttering to yourself over and over makes people worry about you and stay away.

Climbing with people who believe in my abilities.

Climbing grades that are way hard for me.

Trying out different aspects/features of climbing (bouldering, traversing, crack,face, roofs, sport, trad, OW, etc).

Perseverence.

WOrking on getting into the "flow" mode. Basically what erik is talking about...not thinking.

Downclimbing

Pull ups

Stretching daily.

Watching others climb.

Visualization.

Changing my attitude from, "I dont know if I can do that" to "Lets give it a go and see what we can do!"

Szyjakowski said:

carolyn said:

WOrking on getting into the "flow" mode. Basically what erik is talking about...not thinking.

357beachedorca-med.jpg

is this what you mean....erik are you thinkin about your tit right now??

hahaha.gif

...downclimbing... thumbs_up.gif

i think the only "flow" there was the flow of blood down his chest

Dru said:

Szyjakowski said:

carolyn said:

Or maybe the flow down the pants leg

357beachedorca-med.jpg

is this what you mean....erik are you thinkin about your tit right now??

hahaha.gif

...downclimbing... thumbs_up.gif

i think the only "flow" there was the flow of blood down his chest