trail running shoes

erik

why do they wear out so fast? i got a pait of asics about 6 months ago and they are ruined...flat out trashed. pisses me off that a shoe hyped to withstand the rigors of trail running cannot last a year.

wtf?

going to go buy some new ones today...and fuck asics, they dont last.

i am going back to phil knight after 10 years away.

sucky shoes that dont last:

asicis

addidas

saucony

brooks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

erik

running shoes are designed to last about 400-500 miles. if you've exceeded that, it is time for new shoes. all the brands you've mentioned are reputable. i've put many miles on adidas. you might try mizunos. that is the shoe i get the most mileage out of.

minx

Regular (street) running shoes would wear out that fast too. Most serious runners go through three to four pair of shoes in a regular year. The lightweight materials and construction simply cannot withstand the pounding. Put them on a trail and they'll wear out just as fast. frown.gif

Nikes are no, better. I have found that Nike's are worse. cry.gif

i um realize that people!!!! or course they wear out...but the sole does not need to come off in less then 6 months....

and i am going with nike cuz i havent tried a pair in a while..and the ones i got fit my feet quite nicely and the price was very kind too.

minx said:

running shoes are designed to last about 400-500 miles. if you've exceeded that, it is time for new shoes

Minx speaks the truth. I've never gotten more than 6 months useful lifetime out of a pair of running shoes. cry.gif Such is the state of the art.

the sole shouldn't come off that quickly. good luck w/the nikes

iceguy, do you run in your merrells or just use them as an approach shoe? i've always found them so stiff that i couldn't run in them comfortably. nice approach shoes for me but lousy for running.

the nikes sole is one piece and not 8 like some of the others ones....seperated and raised soles fall off much quicker, they seem to be more susceptible falling apart. i think it has to do with the fact that they are small pieces and not larger ones.

either way, i will crush you all!!! barefoot or in my chacos!!!

hahaha.gif

Montrails are HIGHLY recommended by the folks at the shoe store by the old REI (name escapes me - used to be Foot Zone). If you want to buy your shoes from people that actually do a lot of trail running, go there. They also recommend the Mizuno, saying after several successive approximations, they've got it right. I believe the model is "Red Hawk". Of course, it's got to fit your foot. . .

I was in a pair of Salomon's last year, but I really didn't like the laceup strap. I could'nt get it snug for my whole foot. My foot doc recommend'd Asics Eagle Trail II to me last time I was in. I picked up a pair a couple months ago and am pretty happy with them for trail running. They are a little wide for my narrow foot, but I like the tread. I'll let you know if the tread falls off in another 4 months.

mbcracken said:

I was in a pair of Salomon's last year, but I really didn't like the laceup strap.

Is that the Salomon quick lace strap? I found it garbage. In general I find the cushioning & support destruct far before the rest of the shoe with Salomon's. Guess I should lose weight.

erik said:

mbcracken said:

IAsics Eagle Trail II

thats the ones i have!!!!! grrrrrrrrrr

and watch out for the cloth strap thingy getting caught on roots and the such!!! it will get abraided quick i found!

Bummer. I just bought a pair of those. I had a pair of Asics Gel Trabuco that I ran/hiked/approached/climbed in for two years including 200 miles on the PCT last summer. They held up very well I thought. That's why I went with Asics again. Fortunately my sister got me a sweet bro-deal (sis-deal?) on them...

Gearhead said:

Anyone with comments, good or bad experience with the LaSportiva's? Exum Ridge

I have a pair of Exum Ridge's. I bought them slightly small for better climbing, so they don't fit well for running. I like 'em. For walking(long distance) approaches I have a pair of La Sportiva Hyper's that I love.

Salomon lasted long for me, but they would untie themselves all day. Used mostly at work and stepped on many nails with 0 penetrations of skin whilst the guy I worked with had Nikes and had 2 nails get him good. However I have to give a vote for Nike because all the pairs I have owned have lasted forever.

erik said:

why do they wear out so fast? i got a pait of asics about 6 months ago and they are ruined...flat out trashed. pisses me off that a shoe hyped to withstand the rigors of trail running cannot last a year.

ive been using asics running shoes for over 20 years. theyre no better or worse than other top brands like saucony brooks nike adidas et al. but they do have notoriously thin forefoot soles.

what model did you trash in 6 months and what mileage did you put in?

and can you lay off the foul language already? rolleyes.gif