Leavenworth Ropeup Questions

olyclimber

1. Is this an "kid friendly" event? I have a 2+ year old son.

2. How many people usually show up?

3. Is this a formal event, or just a bunch of friendly climbers having a good time?

Any further description beyond what is listed here: Ropeup Info would be great. I'm thinking about coming, but want to know more....

Edited by olyclimber

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kids ropeup came and went. Mostly a "went" kind of thing. I would bring my kids to the ropeup but would be prepared to answer some tough questions from her kindergarten teacher the following week.

Maybe the kids could be there just long enough to win a raffle?

The kids ropeup came and went. Mostly a "went" kind of thing. I would bring my kids to the ropeup but would be prepared to answer some tough questions from her kindergarten teacher the following week.

Maybe the kids could be there just long enough to win a raffle?

OC, I wouldn't really call this one kid friendly. There will probably be some drinkin' some smokin' some sex some fightin' some climbin' some hangover some misc. some etc. The kids rope up was a few weeks ago and if there are some parents who were there or not there that want us to do it again, we can arrange that. I was definitely planning on making it an annual or bi annual event. It was a great success!

prod630292.jpg

Hmmm....sounds like some good old fashioned Roman bathhouse debauchery tongue.gif .... I promised my son to take him camping that weekend, so I'm probably going to have to pass on this one. It does sound like a lot of fun, and I'll definitely have to plan on making it to the next one. As for the kids ropeup, I'm interested...but I've got to get my boy comfortable in the Trango harness I got him first. I'll be watching for when you do it again next year. Thanks,

Absolutely correct, David, but I think this year's ropeup may offer a little more in the way of daytime activities than past years and as long as he isn't committed to hanging out at the main campfire on Friday and Saturday night, he could probably bring his kids along, camp elsewhere, meet cc.com sprayers, hang out at the "beginner's crag" or whatever it is going to be, and maybe show his kids what is going on at the service project or eat pancackes with us on Sunday morning.

Matt, for a non-father, you sure are a kid friendly guy. I like it when non-parents make my kid feel welcome. You do have a point, OC could go camping in the icicle and if he had his wife hang with the kid at night in a seperate campground, he could certainly join us. My kid actually said he had a great time at the spring ski-in even though he was the only kid. Funny thing was, he said he even liked Kurt! cantfocus.gif

• 2 weeks later...
catbirdseat said:

Yes, it is kid friendly. There is a group planning to get together for a "kids ropeup", including David Parker. Look for that phrase. There's a couple threads somewhere about it.

Uh, if you didn't go last year, you may not know that the evening festivities ARE NOT kid friendly. Drunkenness and vile depravity will reign. Vomitting is encouraged, but not mandatory.

Greg_W said:

catbirdseat said:

Yes, it is kid friendly. There is a group planning to get together for a "kids ropeup", including David Parker. Look for that phrase. There's a couple threads somewhere about it.

Uh, if you didn't go last year, you may not know that the evening festivities ARE NOT kid friendly. Drunkenness and vile depravity will reign. Vomitting is encouraged, but not mandatory.

Didn't Beck say that the corporate sponsors will keep the riot police nearby? hellno3d.gif

JoPa-

As long as you are not shy about it, you should be able to hook up if you show up on Saturday morning. If you don't find somebody around the campsite, head to one of the crags where there are one-pitch climbs and ask if you can take a ride on somebody's rope (you could try this on longer routes, too, but you might have less chance of getting a yes answer).

there will be a beginners top rope area during the day on saturday, so cracked and iain can come climb too, but at night it turns a little bit randy. ropeup is all ages.

On Saturday, cascade crags from everett will have a beginners area at bruces boulder, and there will be introductory climbing all day.

the nighttime gets a little wild, most parents would be well advised to be camping with their kids a ways away from the group site.

and cracked, and iain, if your mommies send a note, you can camp at the group site...