Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
pope

Dark Ages

Recommended Posts

jon said:

I promised myself that I wouldn't post anymore about this but I just can't help myself.

 

1) The thing I found the most abnoxious about Dwayner was Jumping the Shark. If you don't like it here go away. Search for the "Dwayner the Prophet" thread and read it, nothing like a tribute to a fallen hero. rolleyes.gif

 

Jumping the Shark was directed at the insulting, violent, threatening and often lame chatter produced by some of cc.com's contributors, not at the people who worked hard to make the site possible. I sensed you were offended by this but I think you misunderstood Dwayner's message.

 

2) About two years ago I stopped sport climbing because I was having a change of heart about bolts, mostly with my concern of bolting of unsafe rock (like Winterlock Wall at FC). I changed my view of things again, in part because of you guys.

 

I've had three people send me a PM to express that they tend to think sport climbing and rap bolting are poor excuses for real mountain climbing, because of the opinions we've expressed. You win some, you lose some.

 

3) A number of people agreed with what we did.

 

4) Any decision we will make will look entirely arbitrary to the person or persons who have been a subject to them.

 

A number of people obviously think it is unfortunate, and quite arbitrary to boot. But it's your site. You can be arbitrary if that's your style. You just might want to post, in the conditions for participation that new members read, that anti-bolt viewpoints will be considered "spray" and "bitching" and will not be tolerated.

 

You comment about how you were climbing well I was wetting my pants shows how arrogant and self absorbed you are. Did you just instantly become an old crusty climber?

 

My comment was directed to the foul-mouthed little pukes like ....well forget it, but I didn't have you in mind. My dealings with you have always been pleasant and I think you're a good guy. I think banning Dwayner is a mistake and I wish you'd reconsider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its amazing how powerful we are when sitting behind a monitor. As a fairly new member to this message board after semi recently coming back to the area, I am really amazed at some of you. I have see more foul mouthed and useless rhetoric from the bulk of you.

The Dwayer issue is mute by comparison, sit down with the man in serious mode and you'll find an amazing array of knowledge and wisdom along side the often offbeat humor.

I dont think most of you even read, but just post visceral comments without base:

Bug said:

Yo Trask, Dwayner and Chirp and anyone else out there who are shaken by the heavy handed moderating on the cc board, why don't you just go start your own site. You can verbally trash anyone you want and not worry about being moderated. It would be interesting to see how much interest the general public would have in your opinions and tactics.

I for one would check in occaisionally but would probably not subject myself to a steady diet of the stuff.

bigdrink.gif

Why does bug include me and Dwayner in with Trask (does Trask even climb?) Does Bug even read or is he/she just another visceral whiner?

 

Lets just get on with this and enjoy the diversity of the peeps that surround us without resorting to namecalling and bannings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

personally i cannot recall one climbing related bit of info that dwyaner has ever shared outside of his bolting rants. and that certainly does not help anyone or anything.

 

i cant think of any beta, any stories or any trip reports from dwyaner. no pics that he has ever posted have ever been climbing realted, they seemed to tend to be for the purpose of mocking people. so where is the worth of dwayner if he contributes no climbing realted information on a climbing website?????

 

i think there are alot of people who should look at what they post and ask themselves where's there climbing related info? questions, tr, beta, little insights and stories about climbing is what this website is and should be about.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Erik, if that's the case then I better sign off because Spray should totally be eliminated. You better check with Timmy first though before dooming this site to boring beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
erik said:

personally i cannot recall one climbing related bit of info that dwyaner has ever shared outside of his bolting rants. and that certainly does not help anyone or anything.

 

i cant think of any beta, any stories or any trip reports from dwyaner. no pics that he has ever posted have ever been climbing realted, they seemed to tend to be for the purpose of mocking people. so where is the worth of dwayner if he contributes no climbing realted information on a climbing website?????

 

i think there are alot of people who should look at what they post and ask themselves where's there climbing related info? questions, tr, beta, little insights and stories about climbing is what this website is and should be about.

 

 

 

when I first started postong Dwayner and Pope had the funniest BEST TR's on this whole site. I think you have selective memory Erik.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

actually muffy i do not have selective memory muffy and your assertation that i do is bullshit.

 

so if they once posted such glorious tr's why dont they now? instead they set out to insult people about their style of climbing. calling them fags and weak. seems like some real winners there.

 

so i still do not see your point other then to attempt to deface my statement.

 

thumbs_down.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muffy's absolutely right. Pope, Dwayner, MikeAdam, Panther, Chonga, Caveman, Crazy JZ, Will Stricklind, and too many others made this site what it is today. Sadly, it's but a shell of it's former Witty greatness without those guys and their interested participation. Why would they even consider posting as before when they have nothing to look forward to but harassment from Erik and certain other mods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a search on threads that Dwayner started. He started a lot, so I just skimmed them. I found one TR for Piton tower, a number of funny posts, but the vast majority were variations on sport climbers are gay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
incubus said:

Muffy's absolutely right. Pope, Dwayner, MikeAdam, Panther, Chonga, Caveman, Crazy JZ, Will Stricklind, and too many others made this site what it is today. Sadly, it's but a shell of it's former Witty greatness without those guys and their interested participation. Why would they even consider posting as before when they have nothing to look forward to be harassment from Erik and mods?

 

thumbs_up.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
incubus said:

Muffy's absolutely right. Pope, Dwayner, MikeAdam, Panther, Chonga, Caveman, Crazy JZ, Will Stricklind, and too many others made this site what it is today. Sadly, it's but a shell of it's former Witty greatness without those guys and their interested participation. Why would they even consider posting as before when they have nothing to look forward to but harassment from Erik and certain other mods?

 

Its funny that at least three of the names you list are all different avatars of the same person. These people have all been replaced by others of similar character...Sphinx, lummox, Necromonicon, et al are just as "witty"...

 

The Internet and BBSs like this are not static, they are very dynamic. People come and go frequently. Don't live in the past, no one cares and no one will remember you.

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it revolting when a small group forces change that they think is "good for everyone"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
erik said:

so if they once posted such glorious tr's why dont they now?

 

Dwayner ain't allowed to post now, and I think you had something to do with it, brother!

 

instead they set out to insult people about their style of climbing. calling them fags and weak.

 

Weak, yes. Outside of that, I don't think your accusation is fair. For the most part, Dwayner has said that those who bolt are abandoning trash where he would rather not see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

erik said:

personally i cannot recall one climbing related bit of info that dwyaner has ever shared outside of his bolting rants. and that certainly does not help anyone or anything.

 

i cant think of any beta, any stories or any trip reports from dwyaner. no pics that he has ever posted have ever been climbing realted, they seemed to tend to be for the purpose of mocking people. so where is the worth of dwayner if he contributes no climbing realted information on a climbing website?????

 

i think there are alot of people who should look at what they post and ask themselves where's there climbing related info? questions, tr, beta, little insights and stories about climbing is what this website is and should be about.

 

 

 

when I first started postong Dwayner and Pope had the funniest BEST TR's on this whole site. I think you have selective memory Erik.

 

True. Though they were all made up bullshit involving Donna Top Step and Teddy Ruxpin. tongue.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex said:

incubus said:

Muffy's absolutely right. Pope, Dwayner, MikeAdam, Panther, Chonga, Caveman, Crazy JZ, Will Stricklind, and too many others made this site what it is today. Sadly, it's but a shell of it's former Witty greatness without those guys and their interested participation. Why would they even consider posting as before when they have nothing to look forward to but harassment from Erik and certain other mods?

 

Its funny that at least three of the names you list are all different avatars of the same person. These people have all been replaced by others of similar character...Sphinx, lummox, Necromonicon, et al are just as "witty"...

 

The Internet and BBSs like this are not static, they are very dynamic. People come and go frequently. Don't live in the past, no one cares and no one will remember you.

 

Alex

 

Mediocrity attracts mediocrity. If that is what you care to nurture, that is what will grow in your garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

I find it revolting when a small group forces change that they think is "good for everyone"

you obviously are not a republican.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmberBuxom said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

I find it revolting when a small group forces change that they think is "good for everyone"

you obviously are not a republican.

OR a demacrat tongue.gif

 

endings are so sad frown.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
specialed said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

erik said:

personally i cannot recall one climbing related bit of info that dwyaner has ever shared outside of his bolting rants. and that certainly does not help anyone or anything.

 

i cant think of any beta, any stories or any trip reports from dwyaner. no pics that he has ever posted have ever been climbing realted, they seemed to tend to be for the purpose of mocking people. so where is the worth of dwayner if he contributes no climbing realted information on a climbing website?????

 

i think there are alot of people who should look at what they post and ask themselves where's there climbing related info? questions, tr, beta, little insights and stories about climbing is what this website is and should be about.

 

 

 

when I first started postong Dwayner and Pope had the funniest BEST TR's on this whole site. I think you have selective memory Erik.

 

True. Though they were all made up bullshit involving Donna Top Step and Teddy Ruxpin. tongue.gif

 

The pope/donna story was inspired by an actual event, by a guy who didn't want to go out in the wind to get rid of something. While I went out on the Emmons to fetch some snow to melt, he remained in the tent and tried to land one in the blue bag ......but missed.

 

But I guess AlpineK found no value in being entertained by this kind of thing, and you know the rest of the story. Until Dwayner is allowed entrance again, we are doomed to read yet another post from Sphinx and his abrasive attacks on anybody and everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pope said:

Mediocrity attracts mediocrity. If that is what you care to nurture, that is what will grow in your garden.

 

mediocrity is the median, and the median is what the sum of the parts is. this site has great TRs and worthless coils. This site has its share of great posters, worthless posters, and a whole host in between. Lump it all together and you'll arive in the middle. You forget one thing: before very very recent history, this site was wholly peer moderated. This garden was what you the readers nurtured. So speak for yourself, Mr. Mediochre.

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex said:

pope said:

Mediocrity attracts mediocrity. If that is what you care to nurture, that is what will grow in your garden.

 

mediocrity is the median, and the median is what the sum of the parts is. this site has great TRs and worthless coils. This site has its share of great posters, worthless posters, and a whole host in between. Lump it all together and you'll arive in the middle. You forget one thing: before very very recent history, this site was wholly peer moderated. This garden was what you the readers nurtured. So speak for yourself, Mr. Mediochre.

 

Alex

Yes this site is what we colectivly created, and now... it is being changed, but not by all of us as a group naturaly shifting our interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You missread what I wrote. Dwayner's funny stuff is funny, but he's only got one TR.

 

Go look through his posts; you'll see that the majority of the subjects are sport climbing is gay. That's cool if it's in spray, but both you and him take the same spray tactics into more serious bolting discussions or you twist some topic that is only marginally related to bolting into a soap box where all you do is rant or quote Yvon Chouinard's 30 year old essay against bolts.

 

At the very least I want some new material

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pope wrote:

...we are doomed to read yet another post from Sphinx and his abrasive attacks on anybody and everybody.

 

ain't that the truth

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlpineK said:

You missread what I wrote. Dwayner's funny stuff is funny, but he's only got one TR.

 

Go look through his posts; you'll see that the majority of the subjects are sport climbing is gay. That's cool if it's in spray, but both you and him take the same spray tactics into more serious bolting discussions or you twist some topic that is only marginally related to bolting into a soap box where all you do is rant or quote Yvon Chouinard's 30 year old essay against bolts.

 

At the very least I want some new material

 

I read a lot of Dwayner TR's.

 

They all go "I am in (insert name of far away place lacking bolts) and I'm DRUNK!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×