Cordellette size?

rr666

What do all you trad climbers out there use for your cordellettes? (i am sure that is spelled wrong!) Last time I bought 8mm cord and was unhappy at how fat it was. I think i meant to get 6, but I must have been drunk that day... Anybody use 5mm? 4mm? How small is too small for some serious trad and aid climbing?

Thanks,

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im with daniel - use a web-o-lette, and get the longest one available because youll often need the extra length and then some - and if you dont, you can always just tie your knot closer to take in the slack. however, i bring a 7mm cordelette on more adventurous routes, because they can be cut up and used on the descent as well, or in the unlucky event that something happens and you have to bail.

i got one of those 5.5 spectra cord ones, so tongue.gif" border="0 to you Chris Harmston disciple types.

can anybody show me ANY EXAMPLES from the accident literature of a Spectra codelette failing in real world situations, where the purported extra strength of 7mm cord would have made a difference?

that said i mostly use a daisy instad of a cordelette to clip to anchors anyways. you can all cross me off your potential partner list right now rolleyes.gif" border="0

I can't recall seeing any reports of a cordalette of any type failing under any circumstances. Or of any anchor-specific material failing in a real world scenario. I suspect that even with a cord that tests at a considerably lower strength than 7mm there's still a huge margin for error an any cordalette anchor that's reasonably well constructed. Anyone else ever heard of accidents of this type? Most incidents of total anchor failure that I've read about have involved the protection pulling rather than the anchor material snapping.

Anyhow - I was using 7mm nylon before ever coming across the article because it was cheaper and seemed to do the job, but was thinking of paying the extra money for the additional strength that the techy cords supposedly offered prior to reading the article. After reading through it, my thought was - why pay more for something that's not as strong or durable? If I had already purchased the cord though, I'd probably keep using it until I needed to replace it.

i use webboltte mostly, but they were free....

7mm i think is ideal- stength vs weight issues and what not.....

though i now have a vectron 5.5 cordeltte that is soooooooooo strong....

my friend even has a 200ft section of it that we use to double rope rappell

the downside of vectron like $2/ft

you spelled it right - when French-trained guides introduced this item to AMGA Yanks back in the early eighties, they specified five meters of 7mm cord. I dropped to 6mm, but still hold to the 5 meter length. Chelan County Mountain Rescue uses 8mm, but they are tying prussiks on fat ropes (11mm+). I usually climb on twins, so I prefer smaller diameter cordellettes. I haven't gone smaller than 6mm because I want the loop strength to be adequate for runner/anchor use.

Anyone interested in the relative strength of cordalette materials should take a look at this report put together by Chris Harmston of BD. Essentially, they found that despite posessing greater tensile strength, the high-tech cords failed at dramatically lower loads than 7mm nylon when knotted, and rapidly lost strength after being flexed repeatedly. Most folks I know who have read the report have ditched their high tech cords and gone back to 7mm nylon. Read it and judge for yourself.

http://www.amga.com/info/Comparative%20Tes%C9rength%20Cord.pdf

Call me stupid but "webolette"? What is it? It sounds like a Ronco gadget.....But wait, there's more. If you call now we will include the amazing webolette junior. Just like it's big brother, it packs a big punch in a super small package.....

It rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs.It rolls over you neighbors dog.It's great for a snack,it fits on your back, It's.......c'mon everyone, you know the words!!!!

JayB -

I know of an accident on Mt. Washington in the Oregon Cascades where a spectra sling used in an anchor broke. The lead climber pulled three or four pieces of gear and popped the sling when it shock loaded. I found the sling still attached to a couple of manky pins ... but it looked as though it might have been shredded over a corner as opposed to a straight pull. It also looked like it had been set up in a death triangle.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Winter ]

...I think 4mm cord wouldn't have enough safety margin to be using in an anchor setup-what's it rated breaking strength, 600 lbs- 3kn, something like that? and a knot reduces cord strength by like 50%- Kurt H., how's a 6mm cord worked for you? Notice a diff from 7mm weight/durability wise?

I have always just used a 48 in equalized with the old loop in it. If I need to, I simply back it up with a 24 to another piece. I also regulaly tie in using the rope with a hitch.

I am curious about the web-olette thing. I have seen them and get the idea. But who makes them and who carries them? Does Jim's shop carry them? REI? FF? Second Ascent? How long are they, usually anway? Is longer better? (Seems like more room to do more with)? How heavy?

Thanks in advance....

rodchester,

yeah, longer is definitely better. as said before, you can always tie off any excess slack. i dont really know any weight differences, and theyre probably negligible - however i would think that a webolette is lighter, and is definitely more clean and probably stronger. my favorite thing about it is that there is no knot, which makes setting up and adjusting significantly easier - give one a shot, youll probably like it. i picked mine up at the shop in squamish - on sight makes them. but im sure youll have no problem finding one in seattle. enjoy!