Nimitz Class: CVN-71 Theodore Roosevelt

Displacement:

96,358 tons

Length:

1,040 feet

Beam:

134 feet Speed:

30 knots Power plant:

Two nuclear reactors, four steam turbines, four shafts, 280,00 shaft horsepower. Aircraft:

90 Armament:

Sea Sparrow missiles

Four Phalanx anti-missile guns

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard from 2 different former Navy personel that most modern day Aircraft Carriers can do over 50 knots, but

it's "classified".

Anyone know how many other countries have Aircraft Carriers? The answer may leave you in "shock and awe".

Air Craft Carriers are so cool! thumbs_up.gif

aircraft-carrier-in-motion01.JPG

Greg_W said:

E-Rock,

In my understanding, having an aircraft carrier sitting off the coast of somewhere sends a much louder message than having a troopship full of Marines sitting in the same place. An aircraft carrier can reach out a lot farther and put the hurt on with greater ease than attempting to land troops and get into action. That was my point, not that it would necessarily lessen the number of troops currently needed in the Iraq situation.

Greg_W

Don't Marines primarily use aircraft carriers for transport to their missions? So I think the ones we have already are full of marines ready for action.

You're all so excited about a new big boat that costs a lot of money - jillions according to ChucK. Meanwhile our own roads, schools, and healthcare systems, not to mention our utility infrastructure are all in serious need of attention. Boys and their toys... rolleyes.gif

Bronco said:

I have heard from 2 different former Navy personel that most modern day Aircraft Carriers can do over 50 knots, but

it's "classified".

My friend who was on one told me over 60 when they needed to. Imagine wake boarding behind one of those things!!!!

Necronomicon said:

That fat cunt Condoleeza Rice has an oil tanker named after her. Does that count? (What a coincidence! A former oil executive with her name on a super-tanker is the current president's National Security Advisor! What are the odds???)

Fat??? Necro, ya better get an eye exam!

sisu_suomi said:

Necronomicon said:

That fat cunt Condoleeza Rice has an oil tanker named after her. Does that count? (What a coincidence! A former oil executive with her name on a super-tanker is the current president's National Security Advisor! What are the odds???)

Dunno who she is or what she does, but she sure is a good-lookin milf. thumbs_up.gif

Sphinx said:

sisu_suomi said:

Necronomicon said:

Dunno who she is or what she does, but she sure is a good-lookin milf. thumbs_up.gif

Uh, National Security Advisor? Ring any bells genius?

A) condeleeza rice is not good looking and you guys are blind

B) funny how all this talk about USA's badass toys comes on this date, as if the reassure that we are in fact badass.

C) the answer is yes, we are badass. and I just can't imagine we need yet another aircraft carrier though they are cool. imagine how much stool per minute is produced on one of those. it boggles the mind!

ehmmic said:

You're all so excited about a new big boat that costs a lot of money - jillions according to ChucK. Meanwhile our own roads, schools, and healthcare systems, not to mention our utility infrastructure are all in serious need of attention. Boys and their toys... rolleyes.gif

I have to agree with rolleyes.gif about boys and BIG toys or substitute penis enlargements. grin.gif

It may be true that we are lacking funds to fix roads and schools. But wouldn't that be the responsiblity of our state budget and not federal funding. I could be wrong, but someone informed me that federal is to serve and PROTECT the country - not take time or money intervene with state issues. It also seems that our federal government has been trying to take over the state's job as well. tongue.gif

kitten said:

ehmmic said:

I have to agree with rolleyes.gif about boys and BIG toys or substitute penis enlargements. grin.gif

It may be true that we are lacking funds to fix roads and schools. But wouldn't that be the responsiblity of our state budget and not federal funding. I could be wrong, but someone informed me that federal is to serve and PROTECT the country - not take time or money intervene with state issues. It also seems that our federal government has been trying to take over the state's job as well. tongue.gif

I see you are learning, Grasshopper (or at least absorbing the ranting). wink.gif