and someday,

when you're ready....

and you'll know it when you're ready...

(or I'll tell you)

you will achieve the

ULTIMATE DREAM:

Exit 38."

Edited by Dwayner

"wirlwind" so articulately writes: "i believe this forum is called rock climbin not plastic pinchin, stupid pudwacker,"

If you're comments refer to my poem, than you have contributed little and your name-calling betrays the nature of your character.

My poem has everything to do with contemporary climbing unless you think sport-climbing (perpetuated by gym-nurseries) is not rock climbing. I could almost agree with that.

Off_White said:

Dwayner:

This forum is not another podium for the bolt debate, that still belongs in spray, as always. No one doubts the depth of your conviction, no need to carry it everywhere you go.

Cato never failed to end his speeches before the senate with the words "Delenda est Carthago"... rolleyes.gif

Off_White said:

Dwayner:

This forum is not another podium for the bolt debate, that still belongs in spray, as always. No one doubts the depth of your conviction, no need to carry it everywhere you go.

Dude....something as important as the bolt-debate IS NOT SPRAY. As sport-"climbing" is utterly bolt dependent, and sport-"climbing" is considered a form of rock-climbing, then it belongs right here. Develop a consensus that sport-"climbing" is not rock climbing (or even climbing) and I MIGHT take the topic elsewhere. Even still, there are other issues such as bolts placed next to aid cracks in order to facilitate free climbing or to "protect the crack" ala Index. And there's more...

Proper application of rock anchors and ethics = SPRAY???? Throw it into a forum full of talk about personal bowel habits, favorite sandwiches, ridicule of disliked "avatars" , and Richard Simmons photo manipulations???? rolleyes.gif

You must be jesting.

Yes, I have convictions...and I will continue to share them when I feel it is appropriate until everyone understands that there is a serious issue, whether they agree with it or not. For example, I contend that most new sporto's have NO CLUE that their easily acquired new hobby is consided by some to be controversial or ethically dubious.

- Dwayner

but dwyaner you argue with nothing other then your outdated convictions. i am not sure you even climb rocks anymore.....sure you got an opinion, but no one cares about it.......no one here(well maybe cept pope) will sit around the ole burn out fire and stir it with a stick.....

bolts are here to stay and infact more are being placed everyday........

and you have yet to send your 5.13 sport proj...

the masses are waiting.

Off_White said:

Dwayner:

I disagree with you and Puget on this point, Mr. White. In my view, the NEW ROCK CLIMBING FORUM would in fact be the most appropriate place for a discussion of bolting practices. I think Erik has hit closer to the mark: Dwayner has become tiresome with his constant recycling of the same spew, and he has less credibility on this matter than active rock climbers. However, there are many of us on this site who repeat the same old arguments ad nauseam and speak(spray) with little credibility. Is THE NEW ROCK CLIMBING FORUM a unique part of the board where we are going to be expected to be respectful and thoughtful and stuff?

Dwayner said:

Off_White said:

Dwayner:

Dude....something as important as the bolt-debate IS NOT SPRAY. As sport-"climbing" is utterly bolt dependent, and sport-"climbing" is considered a form of rock-climbing, then it belongs right here. Develop a consensus that sport-"climbing" is not rock climbing (or even climbing) and I MIGHT take the topic elsewhere. Even still, there are other issues such as bolts placed next to aid cracks in order to facilitate free climbing or to "protect the crack" ala Index. And there's more...

Proper application of rock anchors and ethics = SPRAY????

Yes, I have convictions...and I will continue to share them when I feel it is appropriate until everyone understands that there is a serious issue, whether they agree with it or not. For example, I contend that most new sporto's have NO CLUE that their easily acquired new hobby is consided by some to be controversial or ethically dubious.

- Dwayner

Dwayner, the entire problem with your anti-bolt spray is in the way that you present it. When you make blanket statements, crowing 'sport climbing is neither', or post photos implying that sport climbers are gay, you fail to present a thought-out, reasonable argument. It's the same as politics. You very rarely make a coherent, convincing statement against bolting. Instead you spout meaningless phrases of your own devising that makes you lose credibility in the eyes of most people.

I have never read a post of yours which seriously discusses bolting cracks, 'proper application of anchors', or dubious ethics. Your manner of 'sharing convictions' is pointless, destructive, and makes everyone regard you as a joke.

State your points concisly, accurately, and make a coherent argument, instead of spewing from the high horse. Sorry, bud, your spray is just that: spray. thumbs_down.gif And believe, me, your shit does stink. thumbs_down.gifyellowsleep.gif

Actually Mattp what I find irritating about Dwayner is he just spews forth shit in an arrogant and condescending manner. He makes no effort to present a well-reasoned argument. I find his silly mocking of others tiresome as his claim that he does it to present the other side of a serious issue. I might have believed that two years ago but now I find it a shallow excuse for him to mock others and direct attention to himself.

I say keep such behavior out of the RC forum.

PP bigdrink.gif

I agree with you there, Mr. P., but it would be a new development if the moderators of cc.com adopted a policy of cutting posts that they perceive those as childish attempts to put down others and gain attention or otherwise exhibit some form of "bad behavior." In my view, Dwayner is no more of an impediment to thoughtful bolting discussions than some others around here.

Well, I think mattp and Dwayner may have a point, perhaps this is the appropriate location for that discussion, and this nascent forum is still in the process of self definition. On reflection, I think my reaction was more of the "there you go again" type, having heard it before. So, Dwayner, if you really would like to discuss the bolting issue, why don't you start a dedicated thread here, or if you would like I could spin your post off into the first post of a new thread.

The question of what this thread is about is still open to suggestion. I would like to see it treated more like the route reports area, like N. Cascades and such, rather than like Spray. Dru's question in an earlier thread, do WA Pass routes belong here or in N Cascades, while perhaps asked tongue in cheek, is a good one.

For me, I think of this forum as being devoted to things of a cragging nature, and not geographically constrained. Hence, reports from Yosemite would find a home here. I recall Texplorer posted his tales of this summer's exploits down there in the Oregon section, for want of a better location. That sort of call is easy to make. Something like WA Pass, sort of cragging and sort of alpine, is fuzzier. I guess I'd personally still put it in N. Cascades, and would put reports from Rexford in BC, etc. But it's not a deeply held conviction on my part...

Anyway, I ramble...

But Matt...the whole POINT of the rockclimbing forum was to discuss ROUTES and climbing areas...not ethics...nothing else but actual route info...this is what PP and others have been pushing for all along...a spew/discussion/spray free zone...

Kind of a living changing guidebook of sorts...

save dwayner style (and i'm not saying he doesn't have his points/merits) posts for the other forums (even the climbers board)...he is sometimes funny even if tiresome...

" it would be a new development if the moderators of cc.com adopted a policy of cutting posts that they perceive those as childish attempts to put down others and gain attention or otherwise exhibit some form of "bad behavior."

new develpoments = progress.

smile.gif

In my view, Dwayner is no more of an impediment to thoughtful bolting discussions than some others around here.

One brick at a time.grin.gif

Several other forums (Ice and Courteney's) have operated wonderfully a spray free enviroments.

Al we are saying is give spray free a chance!

PP bigdrink.gif