Leavenworth: Snakes

montanapup

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no you were clear allright.

rattlesnakes do like to hang in foothills of the cascade mts....they prefer southerly slopes...somethin about the sunshine and hotrocks.....one year a 3.5' rattler pitched off the rock above me and buddy as we shoed up for the climb...the snake fell like 80' and broke its spine right there. bastard never rattled again! hence the route Diving dimondback @ 4thofJUly crag

we tried to get the rattle off but to no avail as it fell apart. suppose we should of let it dry out some.....

bigdrink.gif

Just returned from 3 full days of wonderful Leavenworth climbing. No snakes seen or heard, plenty of lizards. Start early to beat the heat. We were baking by 3 pm. Late evening climbing was nice cooler temps. Again no snakes but like others are saying keep an eye and ear out. cool.gif

Szyjakowski said:

no you were clear allright.

rattlesnakes do like to hang in foothills of the cascade mts....they prefer southerly slopes...somethin about the sunshine and hotrocks.....one year a 3.5' rattler pitched off the rock above me and buddy as we shoed up for the climb...the snake fell like 80' and broke its spine right there. bastard never rattled again! hence the route Diving dimondback @ 4thofJUly crag

we tried to get the rattle off but to no avail as it fell apart. suppose we should of let it dry out some.....

bigdrink.gif

I was on top of 4th of July crag once and counted seven rattlers all sunning themselves at the top of the routes. A dude was climbing one of the routes, luckily for him we weren't mean enough to flick the snakes down on him with a stick.

I've never heard of "Diving Diamondback". Is it new?

Been there a couple of times in the last month and have only one snake to report (and it was trying its hardest to get out of my way). Lots of lizards, though. Big ones, with very large teeth, and they like to chew through ropes. No, not really.

Have fun. It's a great area, and there seem to be plenty of new bolts around. If you're into that kind of thing.

Toast said:

I hear they taste like chicken cheeburga_ron.gif

Not really. The taste can be a bit bland or bitter if I remember correctly. crazy.gif Chewy too. smirk.gif But remember to be careful to removing the venom sacs - dangerous stuff. madgo_ron.gif

Rattlesnacks for the most part will rattle before the strike. But like Jammin' said some rattle afterwards frown.gif- take your time - you can walk up on one and startle it.

I don't remember the extact distance they can strike - but it is at least 3 feet. hellno3d.gif