Rockin Weekend!

carolyn

First Full weekend to do anything all summer! fruit.gif

Choice: Climbing on North Shore

Background:

The North Shore has climbing both along the cliffs of lake superior and inland. Its typically MUCH cooler on the cliffs, although weather can be a bit testy w/ forecasts being completely unreliable. The exposure can be great for some, especially with high winds and pounding waves. Its one place in the midwest where you can seriously be marooned if you are'nt able to make it up the climb. Heavy surf or ice can make talus impassable, cutting off your escape route. In this case you better know how to ascend a rope, enjoy getting pullied out, or be prepared for a long, cold swim. shocked.gif Ratings are old school...meaning tough! A 5.9 climb isnt just a couple 5.9 moves - the entire route is a 5.9. Pitches can vary from 60ft- a couple hundred feet. Routes often seem underrated. The rock -along the cliffs- is rhyolite, filled with zillions of sharp crystals (OUCHEE!). There is and probably always will be a no-chalk ethic in this area.

The North Shore is an amazing place to climb. its vital to be mentally prepared, because the environment can fuck with your head so easily, turning your experience into a miserable one.

Day 1:

Wake with the sun along some logging road where we found an open field to camp the night before. Cup a Joe and we are ready to go.

Started out with some easier climbs at Shovel Point (one of the more gentle cliffs)to boost my confidence. Moved onto some slab climbing with waaaaay cool exposure. Gorgeous weather all day- 75 and sunny. smile.gif. The lake was calm and skies clear, inviting a number or divers and kayakers below us.

Later in the evening, back along the logging road, we had great views of one shooting star after another as we ate dinner and threw back a few moose drools. bigdrink.gif The milky way lit up the sky before the moonlight took over, with mars shining brightly next to it.

Found:

A nice, new beefy rope left by a very disorganized, unsafe, and generally rude guiding company. Current location? My house! grin.gif

Day Two:

Up again with the sun. Hit Palisade Head this day. The weather was a bit cooler - upper 60's with high winds and crashing waves. Thick fog through the early afternoon hours, finally clearing to sunny skies. this is where the mental games begin. Unlike last time, I was completely prepared and ready to take on whatever challenges came my way.

The first, a 70+ft, sustained 5.8 offwidth. This route put a fear in me last year like no other climb has ever done before. A fall anywhere on the route can offer a good 30+ft pendelum, often times forcing you to start from the beginning. No problems this time around. It was actually quite enjoyable. I especially liked the 'sleeper' hold half way up. It will be a sad day when that flake breaks free.

Knowing I now had an escape route, I took the opportunity to try some harder cracks. One in particular is photographed on the backside of "Freedom of the Hills" (Phantom crack). Easy 30-40ft slab start, ending with a 40ft+ hand crack, the crux being maybe 5 feet from the top. Grrrrrrrrr! Not being well versed in crack technique, I took one fall at the crux. A little determination and some creativity, I shortly topped out.

One last climb before the long drive home. 80 ft sustained finger crack. Well, a finger crack for those with larger hands. smirk.gif Fortunately for me I was able to get my entire hand in the crack at some spots. Climbed it clean...though tough, very enjoyable!

The best:

Being greeted at the top of the last climb with a cold moose drool. bigdrink.gif

Looking out the back window on the way home we noticed the Northern Lights. We hightailed it down a back road and enjoyed the pulsating dance in the sky for nearly an hour before realizing it was 10:30pm and we had a 4 hour drive home. Too bad for the suckas that had to work at 8am! tongue.gif

So how was your weekend?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

carolyn said:

So how was your weekend?

I tripped on a stick on the trail to Mt. Slesse and smashed

my face, then I saw a HUGE salamander on the trail. I didn't

know they grew so big, like about 8" just the body shocked.gif ! Then I

balanced rocks on a moraine ridge in the fog and drizzle.

Then I ate pie at the Chilliwack airport. Then I climbed

the dirty chossy scary North North Arete in Squamish.

It was fun. The end cool.gif

fern said:

carolyn said:

So how was your weekend?

I tripped on a stick on the trail to Mt. Slesse and smashed

my face, then I saw a HUGE salamander on the trail. I didn't

know they grew so big, like about 8" just the body shocked.gif ! Then I

balanced rocks on a moraine ridge in the fog and drizzle.

Then I ate pie at the Chilliwack airport. Then I climbed

the dirty chossy scary North North Arete in Squamish.

It was fun. The end cool.gif

Sounds like a rockin' weekend for both of you, except for the face smashing part. I have only heard good things about North Shore area for climbing. I wish my weekend was like yours. Oh well got this week.

I was thinking about doing North North Arete sometime. So was NN Arete dirtier than Angel's Crest?

Holy harcore jesus christ

Knocking our religious life

Live by Crass, die by the sword

We're punk rock servants of the Lord

You say that all you want is peace

The Bible preaches anarchy

You say that God does not exist

You stupid punker - look at the mess you're in

It's holy harcore!!!

Moshing to the hardcore hymns

The altar boys are in the pit

The deacon's skankin in the pews

I got a Bible and I don't need you

Our hair is spiked we're on our knees

Combat boots upon our feet

Open bible, turn the page

The Reverend Spike is diving off the stage

- Screeching Weasel, 'Holy Hardcore'

Saturday night: Matrix IMAX, then THE BOOSTER thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif at the Fun Forest.

Sunday: Index, pretty hot in the sun. Uncrowded (smart people further up in hills) Knocked off the 5.9 classics GM/HOC various [the mysterious blue sling of GM is still mystifyingly there, the "11a" last part of HOC is more like 10a (if you use the face hold)] and Godzilla/CPP2 [timided out on Sloe Children, heat excuse], then climbed the steep 'n' dirty FREE AT LAST [someone appears to be working on the upper pitches of that, perhaps the "A2 variation", I think that resulted in the upper pitch being even dirtier than usual. one 60m rope suffices (just barely) for descent]. Then got to experience the Sultan Traffic Light crap and was late getting home frown.gifcry.gif.

Got up at 4:30 AM on Saturday

Did double carries in the dark to the start of Merci Me.

Discovered the joys of expando aid as the pins I stood on fell out while I placed the next one. blush.gif

Spent my first night in a portaledge.

Drank malt liquor.

Watched the sunset over Squamish

Pooped in a bag!

Bailed from 85% of the way up the route.

Rode my pig like the be-och it is.

Was really, really happy for a little while.

Life is good.

The future Mrs. Bird, the notorious Norsky, and I headed to Squamish for a weekend of craggin and debauchery. Our initial plan on Saturday was to do Rock On and then hit some boulders, but with three heavy hangovers we thought that might be somewhat aggressive. Especially since we got a bouldering start to the day instead of an alpine start. We revised our plan to hit up some of the high quality cracks at the base of the Chief and climb some boulders in the same area. We got to the base of the Chief and realized Norsky fucked up and forgot his rope. He wasn’t about to walk 10 minutes back to the car to get it so we agreed to do Exasperator since it is one of the only ones you can do in this area with just one rope. Good old Norsky agreed to let me lead the route since I had never been on it. Too bad I pitched on the second pitch and blew the onsight.

Time to climb some boulders! Norsky walks up to the highball V0 warm up… you know the one. He is on the start hold with a heel hook way out right because he didn’t want to “cheat” by standing on the little boulder and made one move and blew off. He was in the air… 3 feet off the ground and landed hard on his ankle. Sprained the shit. You wouldn’t think cratering from 3 feet would make a huge noise but Norsky has plenty of extra weight behind him so it made a huge noise. People came running cause they thought he cratered from 15’. Fatty! So we boulder for a while and head back to the car and sure enough someone tried to break in and fucked up Norsky’s rig so the passenger side door couldn’t open. Norsky is having one of the more shittier days he can remember. We spent the evening getting fucked up and fantasizing about beating the shit out of car thieves like probably half of all the other people were doing at the campsite. How many fucking thieves are in Squamish anyway? I can’t really remember much about that night. Good thing the future Mrs. Bird is somewhat of a pill popper and had some good shit for old Norsky to ease the pain.

Norsky’s ankle was mostly useless so we were destined for the boulders on Sunday. Had a great time blowing the old tips out and doing some cratering of my own. Hit the road in the afternoon… the border was fucked. Got jacked on coffee in Bellingham on the way back! What a sweet trip!!!

dberdinka said:

Got up at 4:30 AM on Saturday

Did double carries in the dark to the start of Merci Me.

Discovered the joys of expando aid as the pins I stood on fell out while I placed the next one. blush.gif

Spent my first night in a portaledge.

Drank malt liquor.

Watched the sunset over Squamish

Pooped in a bag!

Bailed from 85% of the way up the route.

Rode my pig like the be-och it is.

Was really, really happy for a little while.

Life is good.

Beware the cry of the Mud Falcon!!!!

friday through sunday: walked around for hours, looking at gear and collecting bits of schwag. grin.gif

friday night: watched a new climbing movie and consequently drooled my red bull and vodka all over myself during the spectacular footage of david graham leading some 14d. then drank more red bull and vodka ... 'til they ran out of vodka. then drank beer ... 'til the fire alarm went off and we were told to evacuate the building. madgo_ron.gif

saturday: got up after 3 hours of sleep and went to do the wasatch wobble 5k fun run. took off at a heftier pace than usual and quickly realized i was not at sea level anymore. cantfocus.gif the course was a bitch if there ever was one -- first time i've ever had to walk part of a 5k. usually hills are my strong point and where i get to pass people but i was just one of many walking a particularly brutal one!

saturday night: went the finals of the pca bouldering comp. saw sharma climb in person for my first time ever. dude got 2nd place, to the suprise of many. honestly, i love the guy, but he definitely didn't didn't climb well. nels rosaasen kicked ass, busting out with an awesome flash of the final problem 4. it was SICK!!! it was also very cool to see the chicks crank! thumbs_up.gif

saturday night: went to the comp afterparty. fruit.gif it was very cool to see so many climbers (famous and not) in one place.

sunday: spent way too much money at the prana booth. and i only bought 4 things! cantfocus.gif

the only climbing i got to do was pulling on some plastic in the testarossa's when lynn hill was demo'ing them. tongue.gif but now that the show's over, i'm out to find some real rocks!

thelawgoddess said:

friday night: [D]rooled my red bull and vodka all over myself...then drank more red bull and vodka ... 'til they ran out of vodka. then drank beer....

saturday: got up after 3 hours of sleep and went to do the wasatch wobble 5k fun run. took off at a heftier pace than usual and quickly realized i was not at sea level anymore. cantfocus.gif the course was a bitch if there ever was one -- first time i've ever had to walk part of a 5k. usually hills are my strong point and where i get to pass people but i was just one of many walking a particularly brutal one!

The vodka wouldn't have anything to do with it, huh?