Dramatic Rescue on the Chief

jordop

Looks as if a parasailer or basejumper (d-Dog?) jumped off the Chief and was then blown back into the face, getting hung up in trees at the very right edge of the forest below the Squamish Buttress. Helicopters were flying in, but it didn't look as if a longline was done. Chute (and guy, I guess) was still hanging from tree as the sun went down and we left Squamish at 9:45.

Cops and ambulances everywhere. Hope the dude is okay frown.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Para-glider rescued from the Chief thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jul 25 - 6:50:00AM

SQUAMISH/ CKNW (AM980) -- A para-glider who crashed into the Squamish Chief Thursday night was brought down safely by a six menber search and rescue crew about 3:30 this morning.

The man ran into trouble when he caught a gust of wind and crashed.

A search and rescue technician happened to be climbing the popular rockface and contact with the para-glider was made almost immediately with a two way radio.

Emergency Coordinator Jim Lang says the man suffered some cuts but was not seriously hurt.

The crew managed to reach him and guide him to a spot where they could walk to safety.

Nope, wasn't me. I had jumped first and had a somewhat gusty but otherwise uneventful canopy flight to landing. The second jumper had problems and was forced to take an "out" and land in the upper gulley.

Many climbers in the parkinglot were super helpful and several took supplies up the gulley trail - thanks, guys!

While it was windy overall, there was an exitpoint and jump plan that worked given the wind conditions, rotoring from the first peak, etc. It was a technical jump in those conditions, but not reckless. Unfortunately it left little room for error or mishap and the second jumper (who will likely not mind being named, but I don't want to assume that until he lets me know, fyi) had to take a pre-planned "out" from the standard flight plan.

Peace,

D-d0g

Yes, the jumper in question is a very experienced BASE fellow with deep experience in several other sports as well. I'm sure this statement will make more sense in due time.

There was a Swedish BASE fatality in Norway yesterday, so it seems it was a bad day for BASE. Our thanks again for all the climbers who were so unselfishly helpful and caring during the incident at Squamish - climbers rock!

Peace,

D-d0g

Formaldehead said:

The first impression seems to always be "dumbass", but, lo and behold, this guy was able to pull the heads up move and execute his backup plan, rather than bite it for the last time. Awesome!

His backup plan was to be rescued from the mountain? Was necro involved in the planning? wazzup.gif

iain said:

Thinker said:

So what's so 'dramatic' about that?

apparently Thinker commutes to work daily in the Budweiser rocket.

I'm not knockin' the sport....plenty of excitement there. I fail to see the drama in a rescue where a nearby climber assisted the BASE jumper to the walk off descent. Drama implies suspense, extreme difficulties to overcome, maybe a little blood or at least blood curdling screams, stretchers, and mabye bodybags...IMHO. grin.gif

Thinker said:

iain said:

Thinker said:

So what's so 'dramatic' about that?

apparently Thinker commutes to work daily in the Budweiser rocket.

I'm not knockin' the sport....plenty of excitement there. I fail to see the drama in a rescue where a nearby climber assisted the BASE jumper to the walk off descent. Drama implies suspense, extreme difficulties to overcome, maybe a little blood or at least blood curdling screams, stretchers, and mabye bodybags...IMHO. grin.gif

Do you get your ideas about drama from your marathon "Vertical Limit" viewing sessions?

yeah......right.

I put off seeing that movie for a couple of months when it first came out. Finally got roped into seeing it when a few friends came back from Thailand and were all hyped on seeing it. At least I saw it with friends who ultimately understood the banality of it all.

Sorry for spraying away about 'drama' on a serious topic....it just seems a little overblown to me.

Waytogo Squish Search&Rescue (and assorted climbers no doubt).

Those guys deserve a 4x4 Budweiser rocket they can crank AceO'Base in... or maybe just plenty of cold bigdrink.gif

O' course, maybe next time some climber takes an uber-whipper on a face and gets a hangnail which requires attention, some local area BASE jumpers could air in and supply necessary bolt-guns, band-aids and bigdrink.gif for rescue... serious, that'd be sweet.

Glad all's well and all are still bigdrink.gif

woof-

--cd.