Iron Door/ Index

Charlie

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the laboratory of some physicist who is trying to prove some theoretical "fifth force" (or is it sixth?). He needed to do his experiments in a place that was surrounded by lots of mass on all sides, so dense granite works fairly well I geuss.

Actually, the lab was pretty cool when he let me in there for a tour about ten years ago. And, as a slight correction of Colin's post, I should say that he explained to me that it was the fact that it was surrounded by a big mass on ONE side that made the location appropriate as a testing ground for his theories. A pendulum is affected by the gravitational force excerted by Index town wall, as opposed to the flat open land between there and the valley -- it is actually drawn toward the wall. He also said that, after a rainstorm that fills up the puddles outside the cave door, he can measure some countervailing gravitational force in the other direction. Maybe the fifth force is what draws all of us there.

The other "story" about the cave is that it was first created when they tested the drill system that was used to dig the "chunnel" between England and France.

The story that it is Pope and Dwayner's secret bouldering hideout is absolutely false.

mattp said:

The other "story" about the cave is that it was first created when they tested the drill system that was used to dig the "chunnel" between England and France.

Ah yes. Seattle is home to the famous Robbins Company, which specializes in massive drilling equipment for things like the Chunnel. A friend of mine worked for the Robbins Company at one time, and said their equipment was just incredible engineering. Mr Robbins races in venues around the world in the locally-based, Bob Perry-designed 65 foot racing sloop Icon, which took 2nd at Sydney-Hobart last year.

Alex said:

mattp said:

Ah yes. Seattle is home to the famous Robbins Company, which specializes in massive drilling equipment for things like the Chunnel. A friend of mine worked for the Robbins Company at one time, and said their equipment was just incredible engineering. Mr Robbins races in venues around the world in the locally-based, Bob Perry-designed 65 foot racing sloop Icon, which took 2nd at Sydney-Hobart last year.

Ah yess...yacht racing, the *true* rich guy sport. No skill, just money required! bigdrink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ahh, but I think you have it wrong, Mr. E. The mass of Index Town Wall creates a gravitational affect, drawing us to the wall. As you ascend Saggitarius next time you are there, think how much harder it would be without that tiny gravitational force pulling you toward the rock. (This, assuming that the force that is pulling you toward your death remained the same.) The additional gravitational pull created by the rock is our friend!

mattp said:

Ahh, but I think you have it wrong, Mr. E. The mass of Index Town Wall creates a gravitational affect, drawing us to the wall. As you ascend Saggitarius next time you are there, think how much harder it would be without that tiny gravitational force pulling you toward the rock. (This, assuming that the force that is pulling you toward your death remained the same.) The additional gravitational pull created by the rock is our friend!

Basically, Index Lower Town Wall SUCKS!

tongue.gif

Ah yess...yacht racing, the *true* rich guy sport. No skill, just money required

you are shit dumb and should be now that horse race is most rich sport and reqire no skill money only. race on ocean is far difficult and more than you are thinking. i am nowing this as having worked as sailor on Russian ship for many years before moving to Canada.

also i have seen this door you speak of recently and it is nothing. Russia is haveing many more mighty door than united states.

Miloshk_Antonopov said:

Ah yess...yacht racing, the *true* rich guy sport. No skill, just money required

you are shit dumb and should be now that horse race is most rich sport and reqire no skill money only. race on ocean is far difficult and more than you are thinking. i am nowing this as having worked as sailor on Russian ship for many years before moving to Canada.

also i have seen this door you speak of recently and it is nothing. Russia is haveing many more mighty door than united states.

kremelin... gate is what 18 meters thick? yellaf.gif

Miloshk_Antonopov said:

Yes, Milosh, his *crew*, meaning guys like you wink.gif, have Skills, the dude that owns the boat and takes the glory do not. Climb hard my russian friend. bigdrink.gif

I spoke with a scientist who was just emerging from the tunnel once. He explained his research to me (in what I am sure he thought was simple enough terms). He did say they were abondoning it due to high levels of radon.